Wait, what did I just brew? It was supposed to be a Hefeweizen.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Try that same recipe with 1 oz of Hallertau Hersbrucker at the beginning of the boil and nothing else (except for maybe Irish Moss or a Whirlfloc tab @ 15 mins). That ought to bring it closer to the style!

Thought American weizens were higher on the hops than the Bavarian styles. Hallertau is a little on the mild side, but I might suggest a 15/30/60 1oz addition of them. Might get a bit more of the tartness that an American weizen gets. I wouldn't use IR or Whirlfloc though, but that's just my preference since I like cloudy weizens. Take it for what it's worth.

Thanks for the tips chaps. I think I'll forgo on clarifying, I like a foggy hefeweizen. However, I will definitely use less hops next time.

I really should see if I can find a hop source that is dependable for having fresh hops of a large variety. Local shop is good, but always getting in different stuff, with the exception of a few standard American hops.

Back