Wacky Amp meter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

showcow

Reaction score
Hey guys.

I've finished my Kal Clone (THANKS, KAL!!!), and it's working great... except for the amp meter. It is absolutely 100% wired correctly (it's not complicated), so i think it's a problem with the meter. I've rewired it several times, and have gotten the same result. The meter flashes random numbers ranging from the low 20's to over 60 (this is a 50 amp meter). here's a gif of the meter in action. When i took this video, i had the panel plugged in with no elements or pumps running:

https://imgflip.com/gif/8qzec

Ideas? I don't mind ordering another one, I just want to make sure there isn't something I'm not thinking of. Ideas? Thanks!

Hey guys.
Ideas? I don't mind ordering another one, I just want to make sure there isn't something I'm not thinking of. Ideas? Thanks!
If your setup includes a PID that is controlling a regulated MASH or HLT temperature, I think you are seeing a normal current draw with those devices. The amp draw is dependent on the instant of the current draw during the process.

Can you back up a bit so that we can see what else is turning on/off on your control panel? (Assuming you have lights or something that indicates when an element is turning on/off).

What happens when you plug it in but do not run an element at all?

Kal

Then it sounds like there's an issue. Could be that the amp meter is DC (not AC).

Kal

This panel is a "kal-clone," and I did not have anything running while the amp meter shows random numbers. Although when I do run elements/pumps with the amp meter wired in, it still flashes the same way.

here is a pic of the back of the amp meter. Definitely ac. Guess I'll be ordering another one! Thanks guys. Most of these posts end with a "you wired it wrong and blew it," so hopefully this is just an actual bad meter! ImageUploadedByHome Brew1400119839.939632.jpg

What are you using for a power source? Looks like it requires a 5V DC, not AC, source which usually has to have a separate isolated transformer from the volt meter(if you are using a volt meter)

Yup, using a doorbell transformer and an adjustable dc supply for the meter power.

Back