Vomit smell from my hydromel?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris_The_Rogue

Reaction score
I started up a Mojito flavored hydromel on Sunday. When i went to step feed it the smell that came off of it was a vomit like smell. Ive gotten sulfur smells making cider before and this isn't what im getting. Is this being caused by the acidity from the limeade? Or have i made some other kind of mistake?
The recipe : 1 gallon batch

2 cups strong mint tea
1 lb clover honey
1 can limeaid frozen juice concentrate
1/4 cup light brown sugar. ( to give it a slight rum like taste, or at least i hope it does)
1 tsp Lemon Juice ( From those lemon shaped squeeze bottles)
1 tsp Lime Juice ( Same as above but Lime shaped )
5 drops green food coloring
Appropriate amounts of Yeast nutrient, Yeast energizer and Di ammonium Phosphate
1/2 packet of Lalvin RC 212 Yeast.

OG was 1.062

What's the pH. I would think that it might be very stressfully - (for the yeast) low. Perhaps the yeast is producing mercaptans in response. Not sure that that dissipates on its own... You may have to rack through a copper scrubber (suitably sanitized) and you may also need to decrease the acidity of the liquor by adding K carbonate if it is close to 3.0

Got home today and it is undeniably infected. Down the drain it went. Thinking there were some bugs either in the frozen concentrate or on the outside of its container.

Back