Vomit Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Murph69

Reaction score
Well, it had to happen eventually - after more than 30 + years of brewing, I had my first batch go bad. Having said it went “bad” is an understatement, I didn’t notice the smell when I poured my first glass, I took a gulp and it was like a mouth full of a vile, rotten carcass of something that was laid out on the side of the road for days 🤢
Nit sure why this batch went off, but phew - maybe it sat on some residual yeast?
I transfer from first mentation directly into my canisters.
after a few days of hitting it with the CO2, are usually run up a glass or two to remove any remaining that has sunk to the bottom. This time, I did not do this for this batch. To which sat for more than three months. Which also doesn’t happen too often 🤪

Well, it had to happen eventually - after more than 30 + years of brewing, I had my first batch go bad. Having said it went “bad” is an understatement, I didn’t notice the smell when I poured my first glass, I took a gulp and it was like a mouth full of a vile, rotten carcass of something that was laid out on the side of the road for days 🤢
Nit sure why this batch went off, but phew - maybe it sat on some residual yeast?
I transfer from first mentation directly into my canisters.
after a few days of hitting it with the CO2, are usually run up a glass or two to remove any remaining that has sunk to the bottom. This time, I did not do this for this batch. To which sat for more than three months. Which also doesn’t happen too often 🤪

What you're describing is classic butyric acid resulting from an infection.

There's no way to save that I'm afraid and you need to thoroughly clean and sanitize absolutely everything that ever contacted that beer

I had that issue with 2 of my beers. Turns out the town had started using chloromine in their water treatment instead of chlorine. I normally let the water sit overnight, now I am using Camden tablets.

The go into negative numbers ?
In the comps I have stewarded at, they usually have a "mercy rule" score, which is the minimum score the judges are allowed to "award" a beer. The minimum allowable score is usually somewhere around 13.

Brew on :mug:

The beer literally smell like feces and tasted like vomit (or was it the other way around?). We looked at each other and decided we weren't going to taste it any more to try and evaluate it. We just wrote on it that it had a butyric acid infection and moved on. NHC finals aren't the place to be trouble shooting beers. We may have wrote down a score, I don't remember.

smell like feces and tasted like vomit
^ THIS is the beer that must have been labelled "Satan", "Dead Guy", "Zombie" or whichever of those many disgusting names wasted on nice fancy beers.
I've always found that trend ridiculous. If you market a beer named in honour of devil or corpses, it must smell and taste like a cadaver's juice and not like an angel's kiss.

Back