volume meter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmcace

Reaction score
Has anyone used a flow/volume meter on their HLT. I want an easy way to measure the amount of water I put into the mashtun. Right now I have a sight glass on a keggel and have to heat up an extra 4 gallons just to be able to see it on the sight glass. I would prefer to only heat up the amount of water that I need. Has anybody used anything like this. I found something on the Home Depot website Water saver usage meter

Thanks,

I researched these in the beginning and the one you have specified has an accuracy rate of +/- 10%. This means you could be around a half a gallon off at a time. There are other meters out there but they are not worth the money (about $150). I find a ruler to be the best device to measure the amount of water in the kettle.

I can't use a ruler. I have a 3-tier setup so the HLT is up to high. I also have been researching (instead of working:D) and it looks like these that go on the end of a water hose needs at least 14 psi to get them to work. I do not think that my gravity feed will be enough pressure for them to work. I guess I will just have to have a 4 gallon dead space.

I have wanted to do the same but need to measure the hot water so I do not think that meter would work well. Also the 10% error is not very good.

some people use a pressure sensor near the bottom inside the HLT. the pressure of the water at the bottom of the HLT will increase at a in a linear fashion in proportion to the volume of water.... you would need some electronics to read the sensor and convert it to volume but it is fairly accurate... a simpler solution would be to put a scale under the HLT as a gallon of water is 8.33 lbs you could just do the math to see where the scale needed to get down to to achieve you desired volume in the MLT

I like the scale idea. Do you think a digital bathroom scale would be accurate enough?

i think most bathroom scales do not do fractional lbs so i would think they would be accurate to +-.5lbs. which (if i did the math right) would be +-.06 gallons or +-6%

just realized it would be +-.06 gallons per transfer not per gallon transferred so if you transferred 5 gallons it would be more like +-1%

A simple cost free answer is to measure the water needed into a a container of known volume. Then add in the extra water needed to account for dead space. Drain the usable water and problem solved.

Pretty cool! Can you reset the meter after each use?

Just know how much is left in the kettle after you drain it fully and account for that in the site glass. With my dip tube I leave about 2 cups in the hlt so I just add a extra two cups to whatever I need.

My way, water meter post #7
Thanks, that is what I was looking for but way more then I want to spend. I think I will look into a shipping scale to put under my 72qt ice chest that I use for a MLT.

Maybe I'm not understanding. What is the batch size that is causing an issue? If I'm doing a 6 gallon batch, I'd typically fill the HLT with the total water of say 8 gallons where 4 comes out for strike water (assuming 10lbs of grain and 1.5 qts/lb) and 4 more is for sparge. When ready to dough in, I move the water and watch the HLT sight glass until it reads 4 gallons left. When you're ready to sparge, you drain it empty.

A 11 gallon batch works the same, but I can't heat it all at once. I'll put 8 gallons in first, drain it all. Then fill it to 8 for the sparge and drain all of that.

In other words, I can't figure a reason why you can't see the volumes on the glass without extra water.

Back