Visiting SF from Norway - looking for pliny, heady topper, sour beers++

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dst

Reaction score
I'm visiting SF from Norway 10-ish days at the end of march / beginning of april.

Beers over 4.7% ABV can only be bought in the state owned shop for liqour so while the selection is starting to get better there's still a lot of american beers that we cant get.

I'm hoping to score a couple fresh bottles of Pliny the Elder to bring back home. Really interested in trying 120 Min IPA and Heady Topper even though I understand that's probably not realistic.

I'll bring over some craft beers from my favorite Norwegian breweries if someone wants to trade.

American sour beers from the rare barrel, new belgium, russian river etc is also interesting!

Elder will be available. It's $5.25 a bottle. About $65 for a 12 pack. They also have some sours bottled. You should come sooner. Younger is only available until next weekend.

I'd really, really like to visit Santa Rosa. But it's a 3 hour bus trip each way according to google maps and I'm not sure I'll have enough time for that.
Last year when I visited SF/Concord I found pliny on tap a few places and I eventually managed to score ONE bottle but it was very hard to find.

I'd love to go now and try the younger as well but the conference I'm going to probably would move the date just for me ;)

Thanks!

The trip is getting closer. No takers? I'll bring over some norwegian beers regardless so if anyone wants to meet up and swap some beers or drink a couple in SF (or possible concord) let me know. My GF is joining me for the trip and I'm attending a conference in SF with a few friends but I should have some free time for a beer or three :)

If you're going to be in concord, maybe check out the hop grenade, that's where the brewing network records their shows and they say they have a lot of good beers on tap and bottles. I've never been there myself, but I've heard good things about it.

You'll find Pliny on tap at a handful of bars in SF. Lucky13, Toronado and The Page are good options. Toronado might even have bottles if you ask nicely. I won't be in town at that time unfortunately.

-- Nathan

Rare Barrel is in Berkeley, which is not far from downtown SF. And you should rent a car for a day to head up to Santa Rosa.

Check out bottle shops in the area. NB La Folie is likely still around.

Pliny the Elder is available at a reasonable selection of liquor stores around the Bay Area, though it is only delivered once a week and generally sold out the same day.

Dogfish Head 60 and 90 Minute are widely available too, but 120 is a harder find.

Heady Topper is nowhere to be found.

Back