Vintner's Reserve instructions to do polishing rack at day 30

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tntpilsner

Reaction score
Okay, I have a Vintner's Reserve Oak Chip Chardonnay in Primary, and I know I need to move it to Secondary (glass carboy).
After moving to Secondary and the clearing step (Chitosan), it instructs to do a 'Day 30 - Polishing Rack/Aging' step where if the wine is clear, carefully rack off sediment into a clean, sanitized carboy fitted with a solid bung. Then let sit minimum 2 days, then bottling. But I only have one glass carboy.

My question is- what if I do not have another glass carboy to do this Polishing Rack step? I suppose I could rack to a bucket, clean and sanitize the Secondary glass carboy, then rack back into the Secondary glass carboy, but I know that is probably not wise due to oxygenation, etc.
thanks for any help!

OK great, thanks, ya'll. I was listening to Dave & the Other Guy's podcast (an old one) and it sounds like that's what they recommend, so I was headed this way. Thanks again.

Back