Vintage cabinet kegerator build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had some time today so I sanded the weld splatters off the tower, measured for the tap holes, and built the cooler fan box. It's not very fancy but I think it should work! There is a 2" hole in the back that will line up with the hole coming down from the tower. Haven't decided yet if I'll have it blow cold air into the tower or pull the warm out and draw cold in from the other leg...
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1423886528.691456.jpg

Thanks for posting this thread. I'm working on turning a 1964 Television into a kegerator and your post has answered lots of questions for me.

Got the tower drilled and access panel in the back cut out. 1/4" steel takes a bit to get through!

There are a couple options that we are going to explore tomorrow to build the cover for the back access. The first is to weld a couple hinges on the piece that was cut out and figure out some gasket to fill in the spaces made by the grinder. The second is to use some 20 gauge steel sheet and build a lighter panel to cover the hole, holding it on with magnet around the rim.
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1424059690.707503.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1424059710.623661.jpg

The tower is powder coated! There are a few little imperfections, but after a couple beers you will never notice! :tank:

IMG_1027[1].jpg

Thanks! We definitely had some talented help!
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1426560790.723067.jpg
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1426560804.772719.jpg
I foamed in a couple pieces of 2" PVC through the top of the fridge to just give a smoother tube to run the lines through.
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1426560834.940343.jpg
It's hard to see, but I have the shank elbows in line with the pipe since there wasn't much room after the insulation was put in. View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1426561157.927318.jpg

Update: 5 taps installed, including one stout tap with nitro setup! I ordered some custom made magnetic door seals and replaced the latching handles with a couple '51 Mercury hood ornaments. Working great! I had to replace one of the fridges because it died. Took about 3 hours total to dismantle the new mini fridge, pull the old one out and install the new one. Had to do a little modification since the new fridge wasn't exactly the same dimensions and configuration as the old one.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1504815345.143943.jpg

Back