Vinator spring WTF???,

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BadgerBrigade

Reaction score
I just bought a Vinator and for some reason the damn spring keeps slipping off of the little seat where it supposed to sit? Am I doing something wrong? Is the springs supposed to set up on top of the white piece (With the ball bearing in it) that sits in the neck of the base of the red portion? Every time I try to screw this thing together I can hear the spring slip and land in the very lowest part of the well of the red piece of plastic?

I have the same issue. Seems to be a design problem as that little recess isn't deep enough to catch and keep the spring.

Done a bunch of batches with the setup so far and no obvious signs of wear from the displaced spring. I'd just remember to disassemble it for drying so the spring isn't sitting in solution.

I think it might be the bending and unbending along the side of the coil that drives the pump action.

It'll work even if the spring isn't perfectly seated.

Vinator = good idea, crappy design.

Are there any cool "Jerry rigging" methods? I was thinking to myself about putting some kind of guide to keep the spring there? If I hot glued four little plastic pieces on the lower neck coming up above the edging it should hold the spring? Anyone tried that?

Are there any cool "Jerry rigging" methods? I was thinking to myself about putting some kind of guide to keep the spring there? If I hot glued four little plastic pieces on the lower neck coming up above the edging it should hold the spring? Anyone tried that?

I would think a small collar made from PVC pipe hot glued or JB Weld'ed would do the trick. I have the same issue BTW

Hmm, I was thinking of a stainless rod up the middle of the spring to keep the spring straight.

helibrewer said:
Use a screw driver and push the spring all the way up into the nozzle...it's a PITA but once you do it seats fine and doesn't bend.

The lower part of the spring slips off the seat... The top Is fine?
Do you mean we are not getting the spring up far enough? I'll need to check that, I was pretty sure I had the spring up as far as it would go?

I was concerned about it even though it worked fine with the spring slipped off to the side. I had to buy a new one and trimmed the spring down a bit and now it stays seated and works fine. If I had to do it again, I wouldn't worry about it until it became a problem. It is a crappy design. Makes you wonder who looked at that and said "That's good enough. I can't imagine how that would slip off that pedestal."

I've used mine going on 4 years without ever worrying if the spring shifted. It works fine. I never assumed it was supposed to sit on the knurl. Is it? Why worry?

New to brewing, new here and this is my first post so hope this works. I got a Vinator today and noticed the same issue. What i did is push and turn the spring counterclockwise into the gap and the cut end of the spring will dig/cut its way down into the gap between the red and white plastic. After fully seated i unscrewed the main top part and it seated so well the top part will just hang there. :) Screwed the main top part back on and done... Hope this helps!

The solution, go to your local hardware/plumbing supply store and get a 1/2" PVC coupler. Put the coupler around the spring base snug it down good and the problem is fixed. There is a noticeable shortened stroke but it doesn't affect the operation. If it bothers you, cut the coupler in half. No need to glue it fits tight. Hope this helps.

Back