Victory Malt Substitue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cazamodo

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm planning on brewing up an Oatmeal stout, which calls for victory malt. My LHBS doesn't stock this, and I cant seem to find anywhere that I can order it from here in the UK. Im wondering, is there a substitute I can use for it? Or is it simply called a different name here in the UK?
A bit of research has led me to think maybe some type of biscuit malt, or even a special malt? However everyone seemed to have a different idea. It makes up 7% of the malt in the recipe.

Biscuit malt is the substitute. Both biscuit an victory are toasted malts. Some people actually toast their own 2-row to get a similar flavor. Franco-Belges makes one called kiln amber that has a similar breadiness.

I toast my own, I typically do 3lbs at a time.

Set your oven to 350 and while it is preheating spread the 2-row onto baking sheets in a thin layer and pop in the oven once it is heated, bake for 16 minutes, give the grains a stir and rotate the pan at the 8 minute mark to ensure even toasting. remove from oven and let cool, I vacuum pack mine and let it sit for a week to 10 days minimum before using in a recipe to let the toastiness mellow a bit.

Ahh cheers guys! If I plan to toast my own, just to make sure, can i toast it crushed? I buy my grain pre-crushed as I don't have a mill atm.

If you aren't already using Maris Otter, you could just switch the base malt to that. There are a lot of American microbrewers who use a 90/10 blend of 2-row and victory to simulate MO without the cost, and it should work likewise in reverse.

Yea marris otter is the easiest pale malt I can get here in the uk. Does that mean every recipe I find on here calling for pale malt, will be different to the ones I try to replicate but with mo?

Just curious if anyone would consider a little bit of Amber malt or Brown malt as a fair alternative for Victory or Biscuit malt, if LHBS was out...?

Happy brewing!
:mug:
--LexusChris

Back