Very thick layer of sediment/ Strawberry wine help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TkmLinus

Reaction score
Greetings all!
I am about to rack some strawberry wine. It is 1 gallon of strawberry wine using one of Jack Keller's recipes. It is a one gallon batch brewed on 5-4-19, racked 5-12-19, and it has been settling since. I have been waiting on the thick layer of sediment to settle but it has not. You can see how high up the layer of sediment is in the picture, the wine is clear above it. Do I go ahead, rack into another bottle and suck up the bottom layer and hope it settles out some more, or should I wait longer? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

Attachments

• 20190623_154726.jpeg
    20190623_154726.jpeg
    936.2 KB · Views: 57
Reason 1 I do a five gallon batch. Next time you do 1 gal receipt. Make 1.5 gal liquid and put berries is a straining bag. So close to a 2gal fermenting vessel.
In your case now rack off all the sediment. Your going to loose some volume. Add a brandy to top up or something and let rest a few months. Rack again and bottle it.

That’s after it’s already been racked once? Did you use any peptic enzyme? Have you tried cold crashing it first to see if it settles more?

I did use pectic enzyme, 1/2 tsp thrown in before pitching yeast (D47). I did strain all of the strawberry bits when racking the first time. I'll stick it in the fridge overnight, rack, and leave the sediment. I am just surprised how much there is. Thanks for the info!

Back