very slow leak

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ApolloSpeed

Reaction score
well...lost all my CO2 again. Apparently I had a very slow leak, couldn't even hear it...on my corny kegs.

I even have new o-rings installed,

i got hit with this early last year too. Damn I wish they used a better connection system on these kegs!:mad:

When I fill, connect, or disconnect kegs, I spray with Starsan. I spray the connectors, posts, lid/seal and pressure relief valve. I like to think it helps reduce contamination and I also watch the bubbles for signs of leaks.

Ed

I had the same thing happen to me. It turned out to be the pressure release valve in the middle of the lid. Thankfully I had another empty corny, and I just swapped the valve and it held the pressure.
It does stink to come home from work and find your CO2 gone and you have to drink flat beer. Oh well, flat beer is better than no beer:)

My slow leak was hard to detect. Had to carefully submerge the regulator to just below the gauges (gauges not in water), let it sit while I had a beer and then watch for bubbles while I had another beer. work work work

Is there a better way to check for a leak than spraying star san and looking for bubbles?

Is there a better way to check for a leak than spraying star san and looking for bubbles?

You could pressurize the keg with co2 and submerge it in water.

You could also attach a pressure gauge to the co2 post and monitor it over a period of time... but the absorption of co2 into bear would be a problem if the keg is not empty.

I had this same problem. I checked all my connections/kegs with a spray bottle of StarSan. I couldnt find anything. I must have went through 2 C02 fills before I checked my secondary regulator which had a defective burst valve. It was a pain in the arse to get micromatic to replace it too. It took a bunch of emails explaining that I had detected a leak, them telling me to fix it myself, and a lot of explaining where the leak was before they finally fixed it.

A spray of StarSan will clearly show you the leak, you just have to find it.

Latest posts

Back