Very slow fermentation, thick liquid

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

>==°>

Reaction score
Hello,

I have started an elderflower wine in end of May. I have used 120gr (~4 ounces) of flower, 1.3kg (2.8lb) of sugar and 5l (1.4 US Gallon) of water, starting gravity of 1090.
I have started in a fermentation bucket, moved to a 5L demijohn after 15 days (beginning of June), when I thought the fermentation was done but it was actually still very slow. The liquid was a bit thick, kind of viscous, not like maple syrup but flowing slower that would water or wine when pouring.
The demijohn sit in my basement for about two months and surprisingly, the fermentation was still working very slowly (bubble in the airlock every ~3min), not clear at all and no much sediment at the botton. I took a reading a few weeks ago, it was below 1000 but as the liquid is still thick, I wonder if gravity reading a good measurement.
As the airlock finally seemed to have no more activity, I have racked it yesterday to another demijohn and plan to leave it in my basement for another couple of month, hoping it will clarify (and actually taste good, haven't found the elderflower in the sample I took). But I am still wondering if I am on the right track.

Have you ever experienced viscous liquid in other brew? Any idea what might have gone wrong?

Thanks

Sounds like your data are a little contradictory. If the gravity is below 1.000 then your wine is less dense than water (presumably because of the amount of alcohol mixed in with the water. But if the wine appears syrupy then its density would be greater than water. I wonder if the viscosity might be due to some kind of bacterial infection. Have you smelled the wine or tasted it? Try adding a Campden tablet (K. Meta) or even some citric acid.

I have tasted it, it didn't taste bad but wasn't good either, kind of neutral alcohol taste. I hadn't campden at that time so did not add it when making the brew but I used boiling water to infuse the flowers. Can't exclude infection though.
Will try adding pota meta, thanks.

Back