Very new

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Corza

Reaction score
Hi everybody
So I'm an Aussie living in the south of France and never brewed a thing in my life.
I'm waiting for my online bought home brew kit and yeast to arrive, which has fermentation tub, hydrometer, spoon, sanitizer, airlock and a few other bits but it also comes with a 5 gallon keg.
Is that a bit excessive for a first go, or should I try bottling first, I'm worried about exploding bottles etc, my first attempt is going to be a gingerbeer (cos I can't get it here).
If anyone could share some advice and or links I'd really appreciate it.
Thanks

Sorry should have posted this in beginners section like my welcome message I just read says.

I bottled my first batch and learned that I wanted to keg after that. I still have unused bottles, but it really is personal preference. Best of luck!

I started off with bottling one because there is much less equipment need and it's also much more traditional. If you follow any online priming calculator for your style or a specific carbonation profile you want you should not get any bottle bombs. (Assuming your fermentation is complete) Typically you will see bottle bombs from beer/wort that's not fully fermented or a bug gets in the beer and over produces CO2.

there are calculators here, on brewersfriend.com, and many others. The best advise that I can give is to follow the recipe and instructions exactly as they are printed. It will take all of the guess work out of brewing from a kit.

Best wishes and welcome to the tastiest hobby on the planet!

Hey, welcome to the hobby!

If you think you'll stick with brewing, and you have the resources to put into kegging, I say "go for it!" Bottling is terrible. And you can bottle out of your keg with the right setup. I envy you.

Thanks for the info and encouragement I guess I'll just keg and enlist more drinkers if need be and taste permits.

Back