Vermont Brew Review

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maltoftheearth

Reaction score
Vermont is a great place to experience beer. Last week I returned from a 10 day trip along the western side of the state and had more than a few chances to try out the beer scene. Here are my thoughts on what I tasted:

American Flatbread (Burlington) -- Fantastic beer, completely took me by surprise with the best tasting American-brewed pils ("Christina Pils") I have ever had. They had a gruit on tap that was also incredible. I didn't taste their full range of brews but I didn't need to, I had enough samples to learn how well these folks can brew.

Three Needs (Burlington) -- I think this place has a sort of cult following but I am not drinking the Kool Aid. The idea of a dive bar with craft beer is appealing but the one beer I had was lacking. This is actually the only beer from my trip that I could not recall the style. Later, it took some convincing for my wife to believe we had even visited this place so ... maybe there is some magic going on there after all? I only stuck around for one (I forget which) so it is entirely possible that I did not give this establishment a fair shake.

Magic Hat (Burlington) -- It will be worth your time to skip the tour and head straight to the tasting. I have never enjoyed #9 so it was good to find there are several beers I can enjoy from Magic Hat including its hIPA, Hex (German ale) and Circus Boy (wheat.) It is also great to see how the brewery gives back to the community and has started some cool local events. The tour had an OK video but the sound system that was used once we were in the production facility was inadequate and I felt (overall) that I never quite "got it" with regard to the concept Magic Hat was trying to float.

Long Trail (Woodstock, or thereabout) -- Their beers were all pretty good but the triple bagger was exceptional. Extremely malty, one of the best beers overall from my visit. At 9%+ alcohol I unfortunately could only imbibe one and it is only on draft. There was a short tour here with the brewmaster, I can definitely recommend that as the brewmaster took the time to answer questions I had about their process.

Bobcat Cafe (Bristol) -- Never heard of this brewpub prior to my visit but I would go there again in a heartbeat. Great selection of brews including a nicely unbalanced hoppy Belgian. We spoke with the brewmaster there a bit, he was very engaging and kind enough to take his own time to show us around during the day (when the cafe isn't open.) This is a real gem of a place but it is only open for dinner. Go ahead and order the wings, they're great, but don't order the big bucket unless you have some assistance.

Otter Creek (Middlebury) -- I thought this was going to be the highlight of my visit as I love Otter Creek in the bottle (all that is available to us in NC.) The brewery "tour" is self-guided, so that was a disappointment, but the beers were basically what I expected. The Cooper Ale is a great unique offering and their Black IPA is fantastic. I tried the Wolaver's line while I was there and was surprised at not being impressed, I thought I liked Wolaver's. Anyway the Inn on the Green, a B&B in Middlebury, is organizing some brew tours and may be offering a "behind the scenes" look at Otter Creek that is much more than what I experienced. That may be worth checking out.

OK, now we can commence with the tl/dr ... :mug:

Thanks for the review! I'm driving up there in October to decompress after my promotion test. I've planned at least 7 brewery stops, most on your list. Glad you enjoyed your trip!

Too bad you didn't stop at the Alchemist in Waterbury. Heady Topper was my favorite beer at the VT Brewer's Festival.

Thanks for the review! I'm driving up there in October to decompress after my promotion test. I've planned at least 7 brewery stops, most on your list. Glad you enjoyed your trip!

What you SHOULD do is come out to Boston (Paulie's) on September 17th. Masstoberfest'll decompress you!

Get your confidence up for the promotion test and have a debate with PTN on baseball just prior to it. You'll be all sky high obnoxious if that's possible from a yankee's fan. And don't forget to wear your Burnett jersey!

Not in VT but not far away in New London, NH is a little brewpub we tsumbled upon last Fall named The Flying Goose. Great beers and great food. Surprising quantity of in house brews for the size of the place.

Latest posts

Back