Ventilation fans...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HausBrauerei_Harvey

Reaction score
All,

I put an addition on the house a few years ago and planned to turn it into a brew room, the room is approx 8x16' feet in size. life got in the way and I am picking up this project again after a long hiatus and I am wondering what ventilation fans folks are using these days?

I am currently thinking I need a 4" fan and a 6" fan, preference is quiet and water tight. I settled on the vortex S-line fan a few years ago but not sure if there are any newer fans out there people like. I see what seems like decent fans now on amazon from AC infinity, but they have a few critical reviews which make me leery.

Thanks for your thoughts and suggestions.

More in depth info if your interested:

A mockup of my setup is below, the brewery will be natural gas, and room has large natural ventilation (3 windows and 1 door. you can see one big window just behind the brew kettle). I still plan to put in a small hood above the HLT, this can only acommodate 4" ducting out the wall. The sawhorses will be replaced by a cabinet I built for the mash tun and HLT stand. The right (obscured by pile of ladders) there is a double burner to accommodate side by side brew kettle burners. Here i was going to make a hood from a 55 gallon drum cut in half and run 6" ducting outside (largest size I can fit out the wall in that space).

I know those fans are not to spec if I calculate the CFM fan strength needed for my setup, but with the natural ventilation I have I'm confident I should be totally fine, as 90% of the time only one burner will be operational. One option I could do is oversize the fans and reduce them right at the wall, so use a 6" fan to 4" ducting at the HLT and 8" fan to 6" ducting at the boil kettles. But I also dont want it to sound like an airplane is going in the brew room so I'm a bit torn on that option as well. Looking for some input/advice from folks that have been where I am already.

Attachments

• IMG_4568.jpg
    IMG_4568.jpg
    760.9 KB · Views: 261
I use a 6" radial flow, in-line fan and it works well. However, I too have a short length of 4" flexible tube in my 6" rigid tube network and it really restricts the flow. If you really want to move air, you need 6" tubing and fan.

I was going to quote that one. Lot's of good info on CFM requirements and why. I did mine just like the first one but my needs were conservative. I wouldn't do gas in a basement but that is me.

Thanks all I have read that thread years ago, re-read just now. Some good tips there for sure. I'm planning on using rigid insulated ductwork, I have a super short run to get outside, like 2 feet. I may even be able to get away with no elbows at all, depends on how I like the hood height where I have to put in my ductwork through the wall, and if the fan can fit in between the wall and hood. This is not the basement it's an enclosed porch attached the house which is only accessible from my front deck. It will be a bit until I finish this project but i'll be sure and keep folks updated when it's finished. I know many wouldn't do gas indoors but I'm sure I can make it work for my situation.

I have a six inch fan....howls like a freight train...but it moves air

If anyone is interested I've now got a thread detailing my brew room build as i'm getting closer to finishing up this big project, check it out here if you like.

Back