valve on primary bucket

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dark_Ale

Reaction score
I have a valve on my primary bucket that I always disasemble and clean after each use, but I never use the valve for fear of contamination. I always use my auto siphon, but I was thinking it would be easy to just attach a hose on the valve and drain to secondary....So when its time to go to secondary should I keep using the auto siphon, or is it possible to really clean and sanitize the valve on the bucket, after primary fermentation is over?

Sure.

Just put a plastic baggy over the valve while it's fermenting, then when you're ready to transfer, take off the baggy, turn the nozzle so it is facing up, and fill the nozzle with sanitizer.

You may have to fiddle a bit with it so the nozzle will hold the solution, but not let any beer out. There was a video going around where it's demonstrated.

Dark_Ale said:
I have a valve on my primary bucket that I always disasemble and clean after each use, but I never use the valve for fear of contamination. I always use my auto siphon, but I was thinking it would be easy to just attach a hose on the valve and drain to secondary....So when its time to go to secondary should I keep using the auto siphon, or is it possible to really clean and sanitize the valve on the bucket, after primary fermentation is over?

That's how I do all my beer. Buckets with spigots. No siphon, no mess. I take it apart each time like you and use hot water and a soak in PBW.

When it comes time to keg or draw a hydro sample, I just spray some starsan up and on the spout a couple of times in a 2 minute time frame and I'm good to go.

It makes racking SO EASY!!!! Just remember to pull the airlock before you open the spigot or you will suck the fluid into your fermenter.

Back