Valve Material

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cdkrenz

Reaction score
What is the benefit of one hot liquor kettle ball valve material vs another?

What is the benefit of one mash tun ball valve material vs another?

What is the benefit of one boil kettle ball valve material vs another?

Does brass cause problems in the brewing process?

General consensus seems to be no but stainless valves seems to be much less expensive of an upgrade than they used to be when you only had a few suppliers.

Some people have concerns about the lead content in brass valves and I think in the US there are changes coming in 2014 with respect to lead in brass.

I would probably just go stainless, it's a one time investment that's relatively cheap anymore.

Can anyone explain how the different materials can affect the beer brewing process?

Well, like Jpal said, brass may contain lead, which you obviously don't want in your beer. Furthermore, brass seems to corrode or wear very fast. In no time at all, that brass will look horrendous, while stainless steel just keeps shining away. Also, in the food industry, stainless steel is pretty much the only thing acceptable to use, so just go stainless. In your question you asked what makes a Hot liquour tank valve, or mash tun valve different than any other valve. Well the answer is, nothing. You will see brew stores sell brass and stainless alike, these valves are not made specifically for the homebrew application. Homebrewers are simply using what is available on the market and putting it to use in their own way. Good Luck!

If looks mean anything to you, brass will look pretty terrible after a couple months also. The way I look at it, if a few dollars premium for stainless makes it impossible for you to build your brewery, you may want to evaluate if you should be spending even that money on a hobby.

cdkrenz said:
Can anyone explain how the different materials can affect the beer brewing process?

I recently listened to an old episode of Brew Strong on the Brewing Network that was all about metals and their affects on beer. I suggest looking up that podcast and giving it a listen if you're really interested in this subject. Jamil and JP covered it very thoroughly.

Back