Vacuum Sealer tips.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Onkel_Udo

Reaction score
So everyone seems to think my method of storing hops is substandard (1# bags, rolled up inside a ziplock with all the air squeezed out, in the freezer) so I bought a foodsaver.

I started packaging hops in 1 oz increments today. Pellets were no problem. Whole leaf (which make up about 70% of what I use) were more of a challenge. I had the following issues:

Goldings hops with their tiny loose leaves want to go everywhere. This includes jumping all over the place with the static charge of the bags and the sealer itself.

Getting them into bags is a challenge. 8" wide bags fit inside the 1# bags but have a narrow neck making them hard to fill. 11" bags really do not fit in the original bag so hops go all over the place when getting them out to the food saver bag.

I am sure some of this will be less of an issue with hops with a tighter cone structure but I would appreciate any pointers. At this point it seemed hardly worth it unless I buy more pellets (I have to use at least 1-2 OZ of leaf per 9 gallons in my process) or figure out a simpler way to portion and fill the bags.

I dont understand what you mean about the foodsaver bags fitting or not inside the original 1# bag? Can you not just scoop some leaves into the bag and seal?

I dont understand what you mean about the foodsaver bags fitting or not inside the original 1# bag? Can you not just scoop some leaves into the bag and seal?

They go EVERYWHERE when I do that. Again...might be more an issue with the very loose cones you get from Goldings. I have a bit of an issue just portioning them on brew day without them flying everywhere.

Edit: The key might be to use a 1 qt square gladware container and the 1" bags. Weigh it out in the container, slide the whole container in the 11" wide bag. Did not think of that on the first attempt as I started on the pellets with the 8" bag.

flying, lol. You need to be more gentle when you pull them apart or something. Maybe you should get some scissors.

flying, lol. You need to be more gentle when you pull them apart or something. Maybe you should get some scissors.

Nah...Goldings tend to come as 60-70% loose leafs as the drying and packaging process makes the cones fall apart. None of my "modern" hops do this but Fuggles are similar but less pronounced. Amarillo for example is 95% whole cones....Centennial about 80%.

Is your problem with static electricity? Do you have an anti-static mat used for working inside the CPU of your computer?

May be worth trying to fill the bags over a damp bath towel.

Is your problem with static electricity? Do you have an anti-static mat used for working inside the CPU of your computer?

May be worth trying to fill the bags over a damp bath towel.

The towel is worth a try...thanks.

I always used the wrist straps when working inside a computer...something I almost never do anymore.

The towel is worth a try...thanks.

I always used the wrist straps when working inside a computer...something I almost never do anymore.

Filling the bags over a damp bath towel is definitely worth a try. Done it a few times and it helped.

Back