using wine fermenting tanks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phoenix0041

Reaction score
Hi Guys, Been wondering why people are spending $500 and up on small brew kettles and stock pots for electric brewing when you can get massive, used, stainless steel wine fermenting tanks for a fraction of the price?? any reason not to use them for just HLT & MASH ??

Links to said cheap items? I have a whopping $300 into my brewing setup so I am the definition of cheap

I wouldn't call yourself cheap... Let's say frugal ?? Call up any winery on the planet and they usually are selling off their equipment for larger stuff. I just missed out on 10- 80gal. Stainless wine tanks @ $200 each !!! With floating lids/hand pumps and air locks.... Is there any reason not to drill holes in these and shove an element into them??

The only issue would be the thickness of the walls. I've read that denting those tanks is a concern, but I don't know if the concern is that they dent easily or just that the floating lids won't work if the tank is dented so be extra careful.

Tanks were from a local winery, but from talking to people in the wine industry, they have cheap tanks everywhere. Find a winery and call them up, they are always selling off old stuff.

Back