Using the regulator off of an Avanti?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Homebrewtastic

Reaction score
So my dad gave me his old Avanti mini kegerator... but I have no use for it. It just doesn't seem practical. Plus I'm wanting to invest in a cornelius kegging system. However by the looks of it, regulators tend to be one of the more pricey components (after CO2 tanks). So I was wondering if the regulator from the Avanti would work for kegging with regular corneys. Does anyone have any experience in this?

First, CO2 tanks and regulators do not differ between corny and commercial keg setups, so the regulator will work fine. Where the setups differ is the liquid and gas fittings that attach to the keg.

If the Avanti works well, why not convert it for corny kegs? Determine whether it fits 2 or 3 cornys, then get either a 2 or 3 tap tower and the appropriate fittings. You would need the faucets, shanks, liquid disconnects, gas disconnects, gas and beverage tubing, and some type of manifold to split the gas line. If you want to serve kegs at two different pressures, you would need a secondary regulator (for three pressures, two secondaries).

I converted a Vissani kegerator to a 2 tap corny system, using these:

http://stores.kegconnection.com/Detail.bok?no=102

http://stores.kegconnection.com/Detail.bok?no=249

Well the Avanti kegerator is just this little guyhttp://www.avantiproducts.com/products/id/261. They only hold little 5L kegs. That's why they're not practical for homebrewing. From everything I've heard, the kegs wear out kinda quick, and the kegs and parts are hard to come by.

I'm glad to know that the regulator will work fine.

Thanks for the help!

Has anyone here done anything with the avanti kegerator? Like dismantling them and using the parts for a homemade kegerator?

My apologies, I thought it was an Avanti for 1/2 bbl sanke kegs. The unit you linked uses CO2 cartridges, so for a corny system you will still need a CO2 bottle and regulator. The CO2 cartridges can work for serving beer that is already carbed, so some use them when transporting kegs and packing lightly. I have no idea whether any parts for that Avanti would even be salvageable for that purpose. I would not bother, as you would probably be better off selling it and putting the money toward something useful.

I actually just started taking it apart. The regulator will work for regular CO2 tanks. The little CO2 cartridges that it comes with comes with an adapter to make it fit a regulator. So that means I can use both the regulator and the tap!

You're right though, I could sell it for $100+ and just buy the right gear, but this way seems like way more fun.

This is funny, I'm actually trying to do something with the regulator from the Avanti mini kegerator too! I've used the 5L kegs for homebrew, and they work quite well, so I wanted to create a more portable setup for the beach, parties etc. Part of what I want to do is to replace the push-to-connect tube fitting from the Avanti regulator with another barbed fitting so I can use a 1/4" gas hose. It seemed like it was 1/8" NPT, but the fitting I got from McMaster didn't fit.

Old thread, but any chance you guys are still around and can tell me if this id feasible or not? Stumbled upon one as well and wondering if i can convert the regulator for mobile kegging of some kind with cornies

I did find the right fitting to replace the push-to-connect fitting; it is a 1/8" BSPT. I ordered a barbed hose fitting from McMaster, 1/4" hose ID x 1/8" BSPT male pipe.

The Avanti is great for the Pico Brew system of kegs. I have the setup now and found how lucky I am with zero issues. I just don't know how to tap the kegs without spraying the beer....lol.

Back