Using Tea Bags.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PGHBrewer

Reaction score
Hey Guys! My girlfriend and I were eating dinner tonight and while she was dunking a tea bag in her mug it got me thinking.... Anyone ever use an actual tea bag/ loose leaf tea in a batch of beer? How did it go? Any teas you suggest?

I haven't put it in my beer yet, but I plan on trying. Ironically at the moment I am making a batch of "Hard Chai Tea" that I invented a recipie for earlier today...

Green tea in my pumpkin porter - I like it.

I used two bags for approx 10 gals in the boil.

Is that a high enough ratio to taste the tea at all? It's usually one bag per one-two cups of water...I'm not trying to be argumentative, just surprised you'd really be able to taste it at that dilution.

Green tea in the porter does sound tasty. I was thinking a rooibos tea in an Irish red. I'm going to have to experiment with different amounts of loose leaf I put in.

There was a brew pub in Victoria that made a 3G beer - Ginger, ginseng, green tea. It was very good!

I just used 20 tea bags in a 2 1/2 gallon green tea pale ale, guess I went a little overkill on it....

I did a Rooibos IPA before. RooIPA. I did 1 bag for every 2 cups of water. Great color and it complimented the hops nicely.

there are recipes that use tea or coffee

I remember seeing a Jasmine Ale recipe somewhere.

I did a Rooibos IPA before. RooIPA. I did 1 bag for every 2 cups of water. Great color and it complimented the hops nicely.

I was thinking about a Rooibos wheat, did you just steep the bags for the entirety of the boil? at the end? Sounds like your technique worked awesome.

Back