Using old glass bottles??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Captn_rob

Reaction score
I have access to a lot of very old bottles like this one. I have brown and green.
20211025_133456.jpg

Would a capper work on this? Is it even recommended? I would of course thoroughly clean and sterilize them.

20211025_133509.jpg

(edit) So after I posted this I did a bit of research. This bottle was likely made in 1942! I have a pile of intact brown and green bottles in an old junk pile on my property (used to be a small farm). The pile is covered in dirt and old leaves mostly but I know I can find several more intact bottles.

Last edited:
Looks like a crown cap should work. Personally though, I would be concerned about bottle bombs from cracks and flaws in glass I dug up from what sounds like a dump or trash pit. OTOH, they are from a time when all bottles were reusable, and are probably heavier glass than modern bottles.

Looks like a crown cap should work. Personally though, I would be concerned about bottle bombs from cracks and flaws in glass I dug up from what sounds like a dump or trash pit. OTOH, they are from a time when all bottles were reusable, and are probably heavier glass than modern bottles.
Thanks, they ARE pretty solid. I looked at a green one and bottle maker's mark indicates it was from 1949!

I won't put anything carbonated in them. Mostly just mead and cider.

Looks good. No deposit..., wonder if they were beer or maybe seltzer bottles?
Search utoob for bottle digger or bottle digging, like metal detecting or magnet fishing.
They dig up old dumps & outhouses, find some bottles from 1800s. Clean em with
a tumbler using bits of copper as a polishing medium.
You might find some collectible stuff, medicine bottles, etc.

Back