Using Cascade hops in Blonde Ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MurderMittenBrewing

Reaction score
I'm thinking about using some Cascade hops during the latter half of the boil for a Blonde ale. I'm using 6 pounds of DME and 3oz of Crystal 20L for my grain base. I'm thinking about using the following hops schedule:

1.5oz Saaz at 60
1oz Cascade at 15
1oz Cascade at flameout

Anyone have any opinions how this might turn out?

That's a lot of hops? Do you like IPAs? Cascades work well in blondes. I personally use less and dry hop for a nice finish.

I do like IPAs, although I have 4 cases of the All Amarillo IPA that are just ready to drink (Yum!).

I was looking for a Pilsner-like ale with a bit of a NW twist. I figure that'll have an IBU of about 36. Is that too high for a blonde?

I do like IPAs, although I have 4 cases of the All Amarillo IPA that are just ready to drink (Yum!).

I was looking for a Pilsner-like ale with a bit of a NW twist. I figure that'll have an IBU of about 36. Is that too high for a blonde?

The BJCP guidelines for a blonde Belgian style are 15-30 IBU's.. So you are slightly on the hoppy side of what is considered a "belgian" blonde... Do with this information what you will...............

Hey, Nice Groo!
(believe I still have a #1 - #3 in my collection if memory serves)

mmmmmm...Cascaaaaade.....mmmmmm.

plus, if you're mentioning BELGIAN blonde... Cascade = American hops. But, did I say mmmmmmm, Cascaaaaade?

Thanks for the input everyone! I'm going to use Chico ale yeast, so it's definitely going to be an American style beer. I figured the Cascade would add a nice citrus flavor and aroma to the peppery Saaz backbone.

I think I might drop the IBU just a bit. Maybe I'll use this:

1.5 Saaz at 60min
.5 Cascade at 10min
1.0 Cascade at flameout

That's about 28 IBU.

I would Dry hop it too. I use about 1.5oz of whole hops or leaf hops in the seccondary for about 7-8 days.

I know this is :off: from what OP was asking...

The BJCP guidelines for a blonde Belgian style are 15-30 IBU's.. So you are slightly on the hoppy side of what is considered a "belgian" blonde... Do with this information what you will...............

Belgian Blonde is quite a bit different than american blonde. Theres a bunch of different reasons why this beer is different.

Tons of late hopping would be out of style
Varietals of hop used
Original Gravity
Base Malt
Yeast flavor
option for adjunct use
attenuation
alcohol
Head

Sorry to call you out on that dude, but these beers share a color range and not much else. compare a leffe to a redhook blonde, just doesn't work

I'm a Cascade fan so I am probably biased as well.
I recently did a simple Cascade/2 Row Pale smash, using 1oz for bittering, 1 oz at 15, 1 oz at flameout, and I dry hopped 2 oz for 7 days just for good measure.

It came out great, and has that lovely grapefruit twang. It could end up being a go to session beer for me.

I say go for it.

Personally I like using Goldings... just my 2 cents.

Also I tried skipping the bittering hop addition and just doing a first wort hop instead. Turned out pretty well... seems like your IBU's may be a little high for a belgian blonde, but then again on this style I'm usually going for more of a maltiness.

Back