Using a false bottom vs. a copper pick-up ring tube in a keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

plinythebadass

Reaction score
I'm building a keggle and I'm trying to figure out if I should use a false bottom as opposed to a copper tube for wort pick up. Obviously copper is way cheaper than stainless steel but why does no one use it if it's do much cheaper?

There are a couple of reasons not to use a copper ring but none of them are showstoppers.

I have worlds most inexpensive false bottom for my Keggle but I bought it eons ago so no idea if it is still available...it is just big enough to cover 2/3'rds of the concave bottom and has a hole in the center. It is pretty much self-centering and requires no support. The dead space is about a a cup. It uses a large SS washer to seal the dip tube to the relatively rough center cut-out.

A copper manifold takes a lot of time (relatively speaking) to do correctly and your investment is about $12 if you already have the tools. You have a theoretical risk of "channeling" if you only do a ring and your dead space will be a couple of pints to a couple of quarts. Otherwise, it is a wash between the two.

If your low on funds go with a $30-40 10" perforated false bottom with the hole in the center and a dip tube that fits in it. Works great, and requires minimal additional work from you. Don't get me wrong, I like my manifold, but if I had a round tun I'd go with the FB.

Plan ahead, buy once, cry once, and you'll avoid lots of unnecessary pain.

Back