Using a bench capper

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
I got a new bench capper and eally like it.... however I have had a couple of bottles that simply did NOT carb up. Is there something I may be doing wrong with the bench capper? Does it have to be set an exact height above the bottle so it goes through full motion or does it simply need to smash the cap down? I guess my question is, as long as I am getting the cap on the bottle can I actually do it wrong?

First time I used my bench capper same thing happened. You have to set it to the right height, and make sure you can go through the full motion with the handle. When the handle of the capper is all the way down, I give it a bit of a extra push while trying not to crush the bottle.

Full motion of the handle, never had a problem with bottles not carbing on friends' batches. Also make sure the cap sits right and is not crooked to the side.

I also test every third bottle by turning it upside down to insure proper seal and no leaks. You do have to "give it to her" on some bottles, this is why I wear a NEW work glove on the hand that holds the bottle, in case it shatters or chips.

I got a new bench capper and eally like it.... however I have had a couple of bottles that simply did NOT carb up. Is there something I may be doing wrong with the bench capper? Does it have to be set an exact height above the bottle so it goes through full motion or does it simply need to smash the cap down? I guess my question is, as long as I am getting the cap on the bottle can I actually do it wrong?

Which bench capper do you have? I have this one:

http://www.northernbrewer.com/brewi.../bottle-cappers/super-agata-bench-capper.html

With this model, there is a simple technique that works really well. Basically, you lift the handle to the full up position. Next, place the bottle in the center of the base and put a bottle cap up in the bell. The bell has a magnet up inside which will hold the cap in place. Now, slide the capping mechanism down until the bell is touching the top of the bottle. Do this with the handle still up in the vertical position. At this point, lower the handle to the horizontal position which will lock the capping mechanism at the proper height for that type of bottle. Now push down firmly on the handle. It will automatically stop, so you can do this without fear of breaking the bottle. Next, and this is important, simply release the handle but do not raise it to the vertical position. The bell will rise up enough to remove the capped bottle, but the mechanism will remain at the proper height without the need for further adjustment. So long as the bottles are all of the same height, you can do one after another with no need for further height adjustment. If you lift the handle vertically, the spring loaded mechanism will rise up and this will require you to slide it down and lock it again. Once you get the hang of this it is really easy to do. I would also recommend attaching the bench capper to a wooden base of some kind. I use a piece of 3/4" plywood about 18" X 18". This keeps the capper stable and makes it much easier to use. Hope this helps some.

Duh, that NB link has a video embedded that will show you what I took so long to type out. Watch the video and you will see what I tried to explain.

ALMOST The exact one I have, except mine has a button on it to release it to move up and down. Thanks for the link.

Back