Using $10/Case IBC Root Beer Bottles for Bottling Beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbrookeiv

Crafted Magazine
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I was wondering if there would be a problem with using IBC Root Beer bottles for bottling my beer. They are 2 6pks for $5 at my grocery store, and they are brown bottles. I would do an overnight OxyClean Free soak and then run them through the dishwasher before using them.

At $10/case, it's an unbeatable price. Too bad I don't like root beer... :mug:

0007279610271_LG.jpg

I have read that a bench capper will do it but not a wing-capper.

However, I think the glass on those is dreadfully thin compared to some higher-quality craft beer bottles.

I wouldn't risk it when a case of new beer bottles is just a few dollars more.

They are normal caps. But they use precise machinery to crimp them on and actually put a little bit of a "twist" in the metal to help you twist them off. Take a REALLLLY close look at them compared to a pop-off beer bottle.

Not saying it can't be don eby a homebrewer. But I've read too many stories about people using twistys to want to chance it personally.

If you look closely at the blue caps, in white letters it says "twist off" with arrows...

I have successfully capped twist offs with my bench capper though.

I am lucky I live in a state that has a bottle redemption law, you pay a deposit on all bottles (cept milk products) and then you return them and get your deposit back. So all I need to do is go to a "redemption" center and buy the bottles from them.

I don't bottle much I keg but I did score two cases of old school bar bottles with the original bar bottle case boxes for $5 a case ;)

I've bottled with twist-off bottles a few times, I broke a few, and a few worked. For my money I'd just buy some good craft beer. You can also use coke bottles, just keep them out of the light... and brew a stout so you can take them places that don't allow alcohol :)

Back