US 2-row sub

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Piotr

Reaction score
It is not a joke - in my country there is no way to buy american 2-row and I have hard time brewing american-style beers.

Now I want to make Jamil Z's robust porter, as base malts it has:

11.75 lbs 2-row
1.5 lbs Munich

I want to substitute the 2 malts with

13.25 lbs belgian pale ale malt

will I get close?
I also have german or belgian pils if it suits better..

I think you should be fine with subbing Belgian pale ale for the 2-row, but not for the Munich. If you cannot find Munich, can you find Vienna? These are European malts so you should be able to find them.

I think you should be fine with subbing Belgian pale ale for the 2-row, but not for the Munich. If you cannot find Munich, can you find Vienna? These are European malts so you should be able to find them.

No, I do have munich malt, but I think pale malt has too much of grainy character comparing to 2-row, thats why I want to remove munich malt from the recipe like: 2-row+munich = pale

You are out of luck. American 2-Row is the best there is, and there is no substitute!

Seriously, I would think that someone out there would be able to sell you some 2-row of some kind. Doesn't have to be American to work well.

Back