[URGENT] Welding a Thin Kettle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maztec

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I marked this urgent because I need to get it done today (welder availability).

Note: I know I screwed up, but I have to fix it because I don't have enough time to get a replacement in before I need it. I have a big brew party I'm attending this weekend, we're all bringing our equipment, and now my keggle is dead (don't ask, long, stupid story involving me converting everything to tri-clamp last week and selling off my old fittings thinking it would get done this week, and now not having the parts to just roll back and use my old system while I try to find a new keggle).

The Question:
Anyway, I have an old kettle 22 Gauge Stainless Steel that my welder would be happy to weld fittings into, except he's having the damndest time doing it. He can weld a flat piece of stainless onto the inside and make that work, thus reinforcing it, but we lose sanitation. Any recommendation on the best way to accomplish this? The fittings I'm going to use for it I bought in bulk and cheap, so no worries, I just have to figure out how to weld them on properly.

Thanks!

- M

Maybe you could rig up a weldless fitting in the mean time. McMaster Carr has reasonable overnight shipping if you can find what you need there.

Unfortunately, I'm all electric and my new elements are triclover fitted. Sold the old setup to a friend who will be at the party using it to brew his own. And it is thus unavailable.

I can be welded but with care. Back flow the weld and a packet can be made from foil and alum. tape. Flow argon and put a plug in the fitting very loose.

The main item is to start the ark on the fitting or which is the heaviest part filler rod under the ark and bring the puddle down onto the thinner metal and filler but don't stop to smell the flowers take ark back to the heaver metal and a little pedal action will also help. Its going to be mostly a fusion weld.

Move around and keep the heat down.

Sometimes holding your breath helps lol

God Bless
Swagman

I can be welded but with care. Back flow the weld and a packet can be made from foil and alum. tape. Flow argon and put a plug in the fitting very loose.

The main item is to start the ark on the fitting or which is the heaviest part filler rod under the ark and bring the puddle down onto the thinner metal and filler but don't stop to smell the flowers take ark back to the heaver metal and a little pedal action will also help. Its going to be mostly a fusion weld.

Move around and keep the heat down.

Sometimes holding your breath helps lol

God Bless
Swagman

All good input Swagman... assuming he has a tig welder.

OP - I know you are in a rush, but make sure your weldor knows what he's doing before you make the situation worse.

What would be worse than missing the brew party would be to miss the brew party and have a f'd up kettle.

Good luck.

Ed

A while back a brewer came in with a thin pot with some attempts on it that didn't work. Here is what I came up with. A 2 inch ss washer and the coupler welded to the washer and than the washer to the thin pot which again was a fusion of dropping the edge of the washer onto the pot. The washer is a standard item at Ace hardware called a fender washer.

Mvc-751s.jpg

Hope this helps

God Bless
Swagman

Anyway, I have an old kettle 22 Gauge Stainless Steel that my welder would be happy to weld fittings into, except he's having the damndest time doing it. He can weld a flat piece of stainless onto the inside and make that work, thus reinforcing it, but we lose sanitation. Any recommendation on the best way to accomplish this? The fittings I'm going to use for it I bought in bulk and cheap, so no worries, I just have to figure out how to weld them on properly.

Thanks!

- M

That's not an issue in the BK

+1....or you could just take your time, do it right, and slum it with a kettle and autosiphon. You'll regret rushing things just to go to a party...

Based on the updates here, we tossed the kettle. Can't find another keg this close to New Years (looked everywhere), but have a friend who works for a distributor who agreed to watch for any damaged ones that they'd toss or return coming in after New Years and see if he can snag them for me.

Messes up my party plans this weekend, but the rest of the guys decided it was real funny, so I guess it'll let me come along just to drown my sorrows in a couple liters.

+1...mine is hella thin and it worked pretty well. A lot of people will say soldering isn't strong enough; I ook a chance and can tell you it's rock solid and completely applicaple to what we do unless you use a hammer on your stuff or throw it/drop it frequently. But don't scrap that kettle! You can remove the bad welds/fittings...solder in larger ones....maybe even triclover stuff...and use it.

The welder offered to carve it up into a piece of brew art. It was carbonized pretty badly and the fittings were too thick to really stick right without welding.

However, good suggestion on soldering, I will keep that in mind for the future.

Swagman posted it best using a large area SS fender washer with saving a screwed up welded pot, SS parts available at any chandlery. I have many marinas on my island this is my first one shopping source. The added washer diameter will increase the strength of that fitting even after welding to paper thin SS pots.

+1...mine is hella thin and it worked pretty well. A lot of people will say soldering isn't strong enough; I ook a chance and can tell you it's rock solid and completely applicaple to what we do unless you use a hammer on your stuff or throw it/drop it frequently. But don't scrap that kettle! You can remove the bad welds/fittings...solder in larger ones....maybe even triclover stuff...and use it.

Silver soldering can be very strong. It's used in knife making a lot (in the custom field).

I've done it to repair pots before, and it's still holding after 15+ years.

Another option would have been to use high temp silicon washers, and simply use brazing rod pieces as pins (peen them from both sides)... That can be stronger than you might think (I've also done that for different items, done right you have to cut through the pins to get it to release).

Back