Upside Down CO2 Tank?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScottTX

Reaction score
Weird question, but can I mount a CO2 upside down with a regulator on the bottom? I am thinking it would probably screw up the regulator. Thoughts?

Background: Trying to fit two tanks into a small kegerator and the only was to clear all the other equipment and get the door to close is to turn one tank upside to has better spacing for the regulator.

You can not. The regulator needs to receive CO2 in gaseous form, not liquid. When full, a CO2 tank has about 3/4 liquid, 1/4 gas - that gas sits at the top and feeds the regulator. Flipping it over would meant the gas bubble stays upright, and means liquid would go in to your regulator.

Could you get a siphon tube equipped tank like this one,

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00A7X4S44/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Then flip it over, using the siphon tube to pull gas off the bottom (now pointed skyward) of the tank?

Just an idea...I would definitely seek the opinion of someone versed in the safety of high pressure tanks before spending the money on it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why not using a double body regulator on one tank?
Do you really need 2 different carbonation levels?

I imagine there will be some effect on the beer when liquid co2 fills the keg and 800+ pounds of pressure is applied to a tank rated for 60psi and it explodes.

+1 to this!!!
I was at a Craft Beer Aliance Sanctioned/ sponsored event here is Sacramento. Huge event.
At least two of the booths had a 20# C02 tank sideways. I was dumbfounded. Do you think me telling the volunteer pouring did any good? Nope.
I think they were fresh full tanks and heavy duty commercial regulators.

I would ever mess around with this. Tanks upright with a safety chain always. Even 5#'ers. Not a risk worth taking!!!

+1 to this!!!
I was at a Craft Beer Aliance Sanctioned/ sponsored event here is Sacramento. Huge event.
At least two of the booths had a 20# C02 tank sideways. I was dumbfounded. Do you think me telling the volunteer pouring did any good? Nope.
I think they were fresh full tanks and heavy duty commercial regulators.

I would ever mess around with this. Tanks upright with a safety chain always. Even 5#'ers. Not a risk worth taking!!!

Mythbusters had an episode about valves shearing off tanks and them taking off like a rocket.

They showed that tanks are nearly indestructible unless one is specifically trying, they had to set up a guillotine like device that had a tremendous amount of power to shear off the valve. (it didn't have a regulator on it, and was a full size bottle)

Now, I'm not suggesting being careless, or doing stupid things, but the bottles are very sturdily made.

Mythbusters had an episode about valves shearing off tanks and them taking off like a rocket.

They showed that tanks are nearly indestructible unless one is specifically trying, they had to set up a guillotine like device that had a tremendous amount of power to shear off the valve. (it didn't have a regulator on it, and was a full size bottle)

Now, I'm not suggesting being careless, or doing stupid things, but the bottles are very sturdily made.

What about the potential for the liquid to blow out through the tubing, regulator, into the keg or such.
I miss mythbusters, but it got a little redunadnt towards the end

What about the potential for the liquid to blow out through the tubing, regulator, into the keg or such.
I miss mythbusters, but it got a little redunadnt towards the end

Oh, that is definitely a concern.

The kegs (corny kegs) are rated at 130 psi, (it's stamped into the keg) and have a pressure relief system of some sort in the lid.
Personally, I wouldn't have a concern about the keg failing. That's just me.

I don't think the relief was designed for a large volume of liquid co2 to enter the keg and immediately expand. Safer to have a few concerns than none.

Why not using a double body regulator on one tank?
Do you really need 2 different carbonation levels?

This seems like the most logical solution to me.

You could also mount the tank outside the kegerator and make room for 3 kegs. You would need the high pressure regulator on the tank and a 3-way manifold with 3 secondary regulators inside. I know regulators can be costly, so here is the cheap option.

https://www.williamsbrewing.com/DuoTight-In-Line-Regulator-P4404.aspx

You could also mount the tank outside the kegerator and make room for 3 kegs.
If there's enough space, yeah.
You would need the high pressure regulator on the tank and a 3-way manifold with 3 secondary regulators inside.
Not necessarily, there are other,cheaper options. Again, only when different pressures are needed/desired.
That is an amicable solution! ^

If there's enough space, yeah.

Not necessarily, there are other,cheaper options. Again, only when different pressures are needed/desired.

That is an amicable solution! ^[/

Correct, you could eliminate the secondary regulators all together and just use a manifold all at the same pressure.

I still think your suggestion to use a double body was the best option. Running the gas line through the kegerator wall is not for everyone.

This is what I did in my keezer. I actually added a second manifold to feed all 8 kegs it will fit but the premise is identical. The tank now sits outside the keezer.

LYMmN7T.jpg

Back