Upgrading my equipment help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

golfgod04

Reaction score
Hi, right now I am an a partial mash brewer. I want to upgrade my equipment. My first question, I bottle condition all my beer so there is always trub in the bottles. Is there another way to condition beer and then put it in bottles without having trub in the bottles?

Second, anyone have a suggestion for all grain brewing equipment? Say if you had a large budget what would you get? If you had a small budget, what would you get?

Thanks in advance for the help.

you could try cold crashing or at the very least, developing your technique of transferring and bottling. Kegging will eliminate this but requires a great deal of equipment and a beer gun of sorts to bottle from the keg

I bottle about half my stuff now and I never have issues with "trub" in the bottle. Just a tiny bit of yeast at the bottom that basically sticks there. I would guess you maybe need to give your beers longer to settle or be more careful while bottling

I jumped right to all grain by buying a 9gal 2 wel pot from adventuresinhomebrewing equipped with a thermometer and ball valve. It worked great for over 100 BIAB batches using 5gal paint strainer bags from lowes

The only way to bottle without yeast at the bottom is to keg the beer, carbonate it there, and then bottle the carbonated beer. It is tricky, but I do it sometimes.

Small budget all-grain gear would be brew in a bag. Larger budget all-grain would be a three vessel gravity system. Larger budget yet would a three vessel single tier system with pump(s) and maybe RIMS or HERMS.

If you are losing 1/8 to 1/4 inch at the bottom of each bottle due to yeast sediment, then all is normal. Trub - with particulate from grain and hops is a different thing. Which is it?

I recommend BIAB as a low cost entry to all grain. You can likely do 2.5 to 3G batches in a 5G kettle to see if you like it.

I know trub is perfectly fine and normal. I just dont like the presentation of it or having to explain it to friends/family every time. I only get a small amount in bottles.

Ive done brew in a bag but i was looking for specific systems as an upgrade (both on a budget and if budget was not an issue)

thanks for the posts

How long will beer stay carbonated been using a beer gun? I am curious about this. I have kegged my last beers but I would kinda like to bottle some to take to friends.

How long will beer stay carbonated been using a beer gun? I am curious about this. I have kegged my last beers but I would kinda like to bottle some to take to friends.

if done correctly it will last as long as it would if carbonated in the bottle... thats the point of using one. it injects co2 into the bottle to purge any o2 before filling.

If you have room and a small budget, build a wood 3-tier Gravity brew stand. Use a cooler for a mash tun and two 10 gallon pots with weldless fittings for valves/thermometer/sight glass. It may be ugly but it will always love you.

The CO2 can't go anywhere so it's not going to lose carbonation. I think most people complain about carbonation when bottling off the keg because a small amount of CO2 does come out of solution as you bottle.

Back