Upgraded Induction BIAB!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Avantco IC3500. Can't wait to try it! Waiting on my brother to replace the old 240v dryer receptacle with the correct style to match this plug. Also waiting on my ball valve and side pick-up from Spike.

Recently switched to induction with the same unit. Made a converter for my range plug. Worked great.

Make sure you're precise/knowledgeable with electric prior to converting anything, of course!

Nice looking Kettle Jam095. Yeah, I have the Avantco IC3500, love it. Just finally brewed a 10 gallon batch with it this past weekend (been brewing 5 gal batches up to this point, wanted to see how it handled a 10 gal. No problem) . So happy to move my operation indoors.

I've got a 3500w as well, but Hendi. Full power really cooks, and 2000w can maintain a boil.
I also found that at 500w it can maintain mash temp

@TorMag

How long does it take your 10g batches to get boiling?
Do you get a vigorous boil?
Does the weight of the kettle and liquid seem to strain the structure of the burner?

I'm considering going this route for 5g batches (boiling about 7.5g pre boil volume).

@TorMag

How long does it take your 10g batches to get boiling?
Do you get a vigorous boil?
Does the weight of the kettle and liquid seem to strain the structure of the burner?

I'm considering going this route for 5g batches (boiling about 7.5g pre boil volume).

I do BIAB, usually 5 gal batches. So I am going from mash temp 154 +- 4 to boiling. I keep the lid on when raising the temp to boiling and it takes about 25 - 30 minutes. It took a little longer for the 10 gal, around 40 minutes or so. Yes, I get a vigorous boil, I crank it up to 3500 to raise the temp, but once boiling I turn down to 2700 for the boil.

The burner is sturdy and handles the weight with no problem. Understand, that the kettle footprint is larger than the glass top and rides on the metal structure of the burner.

I have this one, a bayou classic

http://amzn.to/2j8FMSH

Works fantastic with Advantco

I have the same kettle! Been considering the same cooktop, and I'm glad you've shared your experience.

Have you done many batches with it? I typically do 5g batches, and I'm seriously contemplating moving my operation indoors to the basement. I just need a little nudge...

I have the same kettle! Been considering the same cooktop, and I'm glad you've shared your experience.

Have you done many batches with it? I typically do 5g batches, and I'm seriously contemplating moving my operation indoors to the basement. I just need a little nudge...

I've done 7 batches now. So happy that I made the move. My nudge was the last batch I did outside, went till after dark, I had so many insects attack my kettle when the sun went down that I ended up with an infection in the batch. I cannot say for sure it was the insects, but I swore I would not do that again. Consider this your NUDGE.

I also have an Avantco. Works great with my three kettles - 11 gal, 8 gal, and 2.75 gal sizes. No need for individual elements and lots of cables and plugs to support all of those vessels! Induction cooktops aren't as blingy as PIDs, and they don't have the same level of temp control, but they are a cheap, simple, elegant solution for indoor brewing.

Consider this your NUDGE.

Thanks for the additional information!

I think that is the nudge I needed. It's been fairly difficult trying to maintain mash temps because the temps have been in the lower 40's and it was even below freezing during my last brew day.

I'll let you know when I make the jump and give it a go.

Cheers!

Hmmm...I have the perfect spot in my garage for one of these. Any idea how much it would cost to install a 240V outlet? It would be run to a detached garage already wired from the same panel inside my attached garage. The distance from wall I want to install to the panel is about 10 feet.

I would plan on the $500 range..and be pleasantly surprised if it were to get done cheaper..

Two ways to accomplish it:
1) Conduit on outside of wall to desired location - cheaper
2) Tear down drywall, drill holes in studs, fish wire through holes, attach outlet, replace drywall, tape and plaster, sand, prime and paint..Expensive

Hmmm...I have the perfect spot in my garage for one of these. Any idea how much it would cost to install a 240V outlet? It would be run to a detached garage already wired from the same panel inside my attached garage. The distance from wall I want to install to the panel is about 10 feet.

I was fortunate that the spot I wanted to set up was right next to my panel. I did put an add on Craigslist for bids and ended up paying $150 for the electric work, including supplies.

Might have gotten lucky...just so happens I have a wall AC unit in the detached garage with a 240v 20 amp outlet. Would I be able to use it for this application? If so that might be a game changer.

So i've been looking into countertop induction ranges. I mainly brew 1-3 gallon batches but I'm not really sure what to look for. I would like something somewhat inexpensive but still reliable enough to maintain a boil and allow me to hit my temps. Any suggestions??

So i've been looking into countertop induction ranges. I mainly brew 1-3 gallon batches but I'm not really sure what to look for. I would like something somewhat inexpensive but still reliable enough to maintain a boil and allow me to hit my temps. Any suggestions??

The Avantco ic1800 should be adequate for smaller batches for under $100.

Yep - much cheaper than anywhere I've seen!
webstaurantstore also puts it on sale about every 4-6 weeks for $10 off; just get on their email list for a little while.

I use it with a 20g kettle, maxed out - 45lbs of grain, 14g water. Roughly 160lbs + kettle.

No issues, done it several times.

At my scale to get a true rolling boil needed a vented lid. But smaller scale is fine.
I have done 2 brews with my 20G Spike kettle on the IC3500. 1st was outside at ~50F with ~16G water at beginning of boil; had to partially cover pot to maintain boil, though it got to a boil with no problem. Have since bought a hot rod heat stick with 1500W element from Brew Hardware to reduce transition times for large batches.

Newegg often has a Rosewill (house brand?) 1500 or 1800W on sale for ~$50, I think. I'm pretty sure the reviews are quite good.

@jam095 (or anyone else with this setup) - I am considering the 10gal Spike Brewing to replace my Bayou Classic with a few weldless ports.

Do you have any stats on how long it takes you to get to mash temp and boiling?

Do you have to wrap/cover your Spike kettle during mash?

With a single layer of reflectix on my Bayou Classic:

8 gallons

58* at 0 minutes
94* at 16 minutes
160* at 46 minutes
212* at 72 minutes

Thanks!

I just got this 240v cooktop in, pictured here with my 10gal kettle. $100 on eBay because i couldn't find ANY info on the interwebs and told the seller I was taking a risk. Looks a lot like the Avantco to me!

Then tonight I scored this...
Kegco 20 Gallon Brew Kettle with Thermometer & 3-Piece Ball Valve https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MRNMXR2/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

...for $213! Holy sh!tsnacks, this is a $400 kettle! eBIAB here I come,can't freaking wait to brew on this thing

View attachment 1502440531355.jpg

View attachment 1502440547134.jpg

View attachment 1502440900200.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back