Upgrade time. Need to be smart about it

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cms

Reaction score
I have some birthday dough to spend on upgrading my brewing equipment and need to be smart about it. I currently have the basics:
+ 5 gallon pot
+ Fermenting and Bottling buckets
+ 5 gallon glass carboy
+ The other essentials that came with my kit

Like many, I would like to move in an all-grain direction.

I feel like I have a good environment for fermenting ales, my basement never varies out of the range of 64-70° all year round so I believe that there would be only minimal benefit in getting a deep freezer, temp controller, etc. at this stage.

I don't have enough money to get everything I want (who does?) but I want to make sure I don't buy a bunch of stuff that isn't going to help. So, for example, it probably doesn't make sense to buy/make a MLT if I can't boil more than 4 gallons in my 5 gallon pot. And if I get a huge boil pot and a propane burner, then I really have to get a wort chiller since I won't be able to do ice baths any more.

Keggle ($200)
Big immersion chiller ($120)
Cheap(?) Burner ($80)
Spare propane tank, longer spoon to reach the bottom of the keggle, a thermometer able to measure the liquid without burning my arm off (I currently use one of these), etc. ($50)

Does that seem reasonable or will I be disappointed because I forgot something, didn't spring for a Blichmann burner, got an immersion chiller instead of a plate chiller and march pump, etc.?

Seems like if I get that, then all I get out of it is that I can do full boils until I build a MLT (and a HLT, or could I use my 5 gallon pot, if I install a valve at the bottom?)

I sure wish I got all this stuff when I was single and didn't have to answer to anybody.

EDIT: I'll add that I don't mind bottling, so keezer and kegging is not on my radar at the moment.

I'd build a mash tun from a 10g igloo cooler. That will cost you $60 after the ball valve and braid. Yes, I read your message but 1) this is the essential step in going AG, and 2) you'll need that size eventually.

Everything on your list is going to be important, especially if you want to step up your batch size.

yeah i agree with all passedpawn had to say.

i'd suggest going the same route, build your MLT. for now, with your 5 gallon pot, you could always pick up a 3g better bottle or two and crank out a few 2.5g AG batches to hone the process.

If you are handy you can do it alot cheaper. Search hbt and you tube for converting a cooler and making an immersion chiller. I would guess 100 for both. Look into a 10 gallon aluminum pot on the cheap (home depot has one with a strainer basket, line basket with a 5 gallon paint strainer and do brew in a bag, eliminate the need to mash, 80 bucks) or spring for a nice ss pot with a ball valve and thermometer since you save by making the cooler and chiller.

VB

If you are handy you can do it alot cheaper. Search hbt and you tube for converting a cooler and making an immersion chiller. I would guess 100 for both. Look into a 10 gallon aluminum pot on the cheap (home depot has one with a strainer basket, line basket with a 5 gallon paint strainer and do brew in a bag, eliminate the need to mash, 80 bucks) or spring for a nice ss pot with a ball valve and thermometer since you save by making the cooler and chiller.

VB

Although I've never done it, BIAB has to be the cheapest method.

A second route, if your local Craigslist is anything like mine you should be able to get a keg to convert for $30 or less. I once got one free just by asking the guy at the liquor store. They have kegs they aren't going to refill for some reason. Cut the top off, drill a hole or two with a step bit and you can have a real nice keggle. A step bit may run you $15 at www.bargainfittings.com. Get a weldless bulkhead and you're good to go. Not sure if you have a drill, but you could always borrow or rent equipment from Home Depot.

Go the cooler route for a mash tun and you're good to go other than a chiller. You can make an amazing CFC for pretty cheap. Bobby M has a great video on this. I also used a 25' immersion Chiller for a while, then converted it to a CFC.

All this depends on how much you enjoy making equipment versus just purchasing it, how much time you have, and when you want to have everything ready.

Just a few ideas. You're smart to try and think everything through at the outset. Enjoy your new toys!

Get into all grain cheaply and do as much as you can on your own, so you can see how much better your beers will be while not breaking the bank. I read some great advice here on HBT a while back: ask yourself, "will this item make my beer taste better?" Upgrade that stuff first, then go for bling and all the stuff that makes the process easier on your back.

yeah i agree with all passedpawn had to say.

i'd suggest going the same route, build your MLT. for now, with your 5 gallon pot, you could always pick up a 3g better bottle or two and crank out a few 2.5g AG batches to hone the process.

I really like this idea! All grain and full boils in one shot.

Build a MLT, Build an immersion chiller. Enough left over for the BB and some other odd bits.

Back