Blonde Ale Unruly Blonde

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brick

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Safale US-05
Yeast Starter
N/A
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
N/A
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
7d@61F, then 7d@69F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
8d@61F
Additional Fermentation
N/A
Tasting Notes
Well balanced with ample hop character and little to no alcohol presence despite ABV.
This was intended to be a simple blonde ale to inaugurate my new AG system, but it got away from me thanks to my under-estimate of efficiency. I'm posting the recipe as-brewed since it turned out so well. It is almost a 2-row/Palisade SMASH except for the 4% rye malt that I added for head retention and just a touch of zing.

Grain bill:
96% 2-row Pale malt (11lb)
4% Rye malt (0.5lb)

Mash:
Single infusion, 1.25qt/lb @ 152F for 60 minutes

Sparge:
Batch, targeted 7.0gal boil to get ~5.5gal in my fermenter

Boil:
65 minute boil

Hop Schedule:
60min: 1oz Palisade
15min: 1/2 oz Palisade
Flamout: 1/2 oz Palisade

Fermentation:
1 packet Safale US-05, no starter
Fermented in the low 60s (fahrenheit) for 1 week then increased to the high 60s for the 2nd week. Racked to a brite tank for 1 week in the low 60s to clear-up.

Result:
This turned out to be a much more flavorful beer than I expected. Hop bitterness is extrmely well balanced against the malt, and the Palisade flavor comes through very nicely. I would call the flavor "herbal." The rye goes almost unnoticed due to the small percentage used, but just a hint of spiciness can be detected in the finish if you look for it. Overall, it's a very drinkable beer despite having a higher alcohol percentage (6.3% ABV) than a "standard" blonde ale.

You'll have to pardon the chill haze.

IMAG0303.jpg

IMAG0307.jpg

Looks good, nice job. Nice idea of adding a hint of rye, I'll have to do that next time.

Latest posts

Back