Unibrau 120v Plus Induction

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnnyO'

Reaction score
I went with the 120V option so that I could continue to brew in my kitchen once I realized that I could augment the heat source for raising temps with my top of the line Bosch induction Cooktop (with Speedboost!). I have been using the cooktop exclusively for my extract brews (3 gallon boil for 5 gallon batches) and it worked well for that. If anyone has any experience using two heat sources for the Unibrau and has some tips/precautions to offer - I'd appreciate hearing about them. My system is en route.

I would use both units at full power to get up to temperature, and then after your mash to get up to the boil. To maintain temperatures for mashing, probably only the unibrau. Boil, likely both, throttled down.

As Cyclman stated you can use both to ramp up temps quickly and then a combo during the boil.

As an example I have two heating elements on my eBIAB system. One element is connected to the controller and the other element I just plug in so it is 100% power all the time. I use both elements at 100% to get to mash temperature and then turn off the uncontrolled element.

Turn both on to reach boil and then turn the controlled element to 44% power and the plugged in unit stays on at 100% power. For my setup this gave me the boil off rate I wanted.

Got my system yesterday and did a dry run this morning - noting the times to raise stike to mash temps and then to boil. Plus evaporation rate:

Saw your post on the Facebook group. Good to see someone posting about this system here. I'll be following up once my purchase arrives. Everyone using this seems to run no sparge and recirculates at a ridiculous flow rate, which I think is why many people unnecessarily end up using a brew bag with this system. My initial plan is to use a much slower recirculation flow and let the grain bed settle nicely without channeling and then sparge. The slow rate I hope will avoid any pressure suck of the grains through the grain basket. Will mill at 0.040 first time around. Good luck with your first brew.

I’ve had terrific results brewing almost 20 batches w/ a 120 V 1800 watt Duxtop induction unit. See my short video below for some innovations, too. Music, too, don’t be fooled! Mostly I brew 4-5 gallons and have used a second Duxtop heater on the floor for preheating the runoff. Cheers.

Back