unfermentable sugars affect FG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lbco318

Reaction score
Brewed up a Gose and missed my mash temp... Way too high at 165. anyway my question is this: How do these unfermentable sugars affect gravity readings? Hit my post boil reading pretty right on but im wondering how much is actually fermentable. also how will this affect my final gravity to tell when the fermentation is complete.

Here's the basic deal. Gravity is the measurement of residual sugars. The yeast will eat up certain sugars and leave some behind. They generally eat the stuff better that's been mashed at lower end of the mash range, like 148-152. If you mashed higher you are likely to have more sugar left over when the yeast are done.

So, more sugar left over means higher gravity and a somewhat sweeter beer. Or at least a beer with more maltiness and mouthfeel and somewhat sweeter.

You *could* add some amylaze enzyme to the secondary to help thin it down some, but it's a new concept to me so I hesitate to give much more advice than to look into it.

I am not familiar with the Gose style, but IIRC you really aren't going to get a good example by mashing at 165. I think I remember it needs to be thinner and more refreshing.

Thanks for the quick response.

Heres the facts:

Post boil gravity was 1.050 which was right on. After 7 days at the ideal temp for the strain it read 1.030.

I guess my real question and or concern is at what point can i trust the gravity reading to be stable enough to bottle. I dont want any bombs in the basement. My plan was to let it ride another week and take a reading. if its 1.030 can I assume the high reading is the unfermentables?

A few identical measurements a few days apart are enough to confirm final gravity.

This. I would let it go for another week unless you really just HAVE to bottle it sooner. I recommend not being in a hurry. If you kegged, it would be a different story, but the best thing to do here is to be patient and take readings a few days apart and compare.

You may end up between 1.020 and 1.030 somewhere. 1.030 is pretty heavy, so hopefully it will drop down to near the 20 mark or less.

That's the plan then. I'm definitely in no hurry, just never made that big of a mistake with temps before so I'm a little gooned out. Thanks for your help.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Back