Under-the-stairs fermentation chamber

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thadass

Reaction score
So... I'm very new to homebrewing. Only 4 batches done (Two of which are in these pics). But, after a few weeks babying my first two batches under my kitchen table I knew I needed a better solution.

So coming home from work I take a look at the stairs going up to my bedroom

img0684dk.jpg

and I say hey! there's some booze on the stairs. Oh wait, but I have beer under the table already. I should really do something about that. I need to go down into the basement and I pass the void under the stairs.

beforez.png

It was sort of difficult to see through the blurry camera, or maybe it was just the stair-booze, but after a few minutes I realized my opportunity.

img0679mb.jpg

A fermentation chamber! It's fairly chilly here right now so it's built for heating, but setting it up for cooling will be super easy. It's built out of rigid foam, foil tape, foamboard adhesive, and expanding foam insulation for gaps (just like all the other ones out there eh)

cadp.png

I had taken some measurements and made a CAD drawing for fun. SketchUp is free and fun! You should use it!

img0681ei.jpg

Heavily modify a $2 thrift-store mini crock pot with some fans as a heater.

img0675x.jpg

The door just presses snugly into the opening. On the sides these little wings overlap and press into some weatherstripping

img0673qm.jpg

STC-1000 ebay temp controll build in a 3-gang electrical box. outlets off of the top of the pic are for the fans that are always running in the chamber and things like my DIY stir plate.

img0672pm.jpg

View from the edge of my kitchen. Ta-da!!

For inquiring minds, the batches in there are my first two AG brews, done fairly true to the DeathBrewer stovetop method. Ninkasi Oatis clone in the carboy and Orfy's Mild-Mannered Ale in the bucket.

Back