UK vs US 2-Row

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snap1042

Reaction score
Quick question: I have had several recipes ask for 2-Row grains. When I go to my LHBS, they ask if I want UK or US.

What's the difference aside from the obvious (name/origin)? Do I use the US for the US beers and the UK for English beers? Does it matter?

The English malts are usually kilned differently, and maltier. I've always seen recipes referring to 2row to mean domestic 2row. And yeah, if you're trying to stick to a specific style, I'd use the ingredients from the appropriate origin.

English 2 row is also known as Maris Otter. A nice malty biscuity base malt i normally grab us 2 row unless the recipe specifically calls for MO or I want to add that biscuity notes

I use English base malt for American IPAs all of the time with much more success than American 2-row... And there are plenty of English base malts other than Maris Otter.

British malt in general simply has more flavor and is of better quality. I know that's a very broad statement, but in my experiences, I believe it to be true.

Don't be afraid to be a rebel and push the envelope. There is no universal standard of what to do regarding origin as it pertains to style...as we have seen from the many commercial breweries putting out great American IPAs made with American hops, English malts, and English yeast.

I suggest experimenting w/malts like Maris Otter, Golden Promise, Pearl, Optic, Halcyon... along with Pilsener, Munich, Wheats, and Ryes from various countries. It doesn't always have to be American 2-row.

hey guys, real serious question:

i got an american pale ale and an english pale ale under my belt already.

i used american 2 row for my american pale ale.

i used english 2-row (MO) for my english pale ale.

however, now that i want to brew an IPA, i can't find ANYWHERE that sells indian 2-row.

ANY SUGGESTIONS?!?!

however, now that i want to brew an IPA, i can't find ANYWHERE that sells indian 2-row.

ANY SUGGESTIONS?!?!

Since India was occupied by the English, default to the mother country's standards. :mug:

brewski08 said:

ANY SUGGESTIONS?!?!

I would a answer this, but I have RESERVATIONS

English 2 row is also known as Maris Otter. A nice malty biscuity base malt i normally grab us 2 row unless the recipe specifically calls for MO or I want to add that biscuity notes

There continues to be much misunderstanding re the famous Maris-Otter among American homebrewers. Maris-Otter is a specific variety of UK barley. It is not synonymous with English 2-row as that description encompasses many other types of barley, most of which are not Maris-Otter. Several UK maltsters offer malt produced from M-O, Munton's, Baird, Crisp, etc, in addition to their standard product made from more widely grown barley varieties. :mug:

Quick question: I have had several recipes ask for 2-Row grains. When I go to my LHBS, they ask if I want UK or US.

What's the difference aside from the obvious (name/origin)? Do I use the US for the US beers and the UK for English beers? Does it matter?

I think it matters a lot, especially if you are brewing a UK style. The UK malts are richer and deeper in flavor, "maltier" if you will as well as being slightly darker and toastier.

There continues to be much misunderstanding re the famous Maris-Otter among American homebrewers. Maris-Otter is a specific variety of UK barley. It is not synonymous with English 2-row as that description encompasses many other types of barley, most of which are not Maris-Otter. Several UK maltsters offer malt produced from M-O, Munton's, Baird, Crisp, etc, in addition to their standard product made from more widely grown barley varieties. :mug:

Beat me to it. You constantly see people making that mistake. There's also several varieties of English Pale Ale malt besides the Maris Otter variety, suck as Halcyon, Optic, etc.
When I made that realization, worlds opened up for me. I'd been using Crisp MO for a base in my English brews, and frankly wasn't really pleased with the flavor of the MO. According to some things I've read on the Barclay Perkins blog, recent crops have been producing sweeter malts, which is what I wasn't liking in my beers. I'm not sure what barley Halcyon and Optic are kilned from, but I sure like what they do to my English beers.

OP, generally, use American 2 row for American styles, English 2 row for English styles. There's multiple varieties and brands of both, it's up to you to figure out which you prefer.

I'm not sure what barley Halcyon and Optic are kilned from, but I sure like what they do to my English beers.

Those are the barley varieties, as is Golden Promise, Pearl, and Tipple.

Sadly, Maris Otter is largely being phased out in the UK due to growing limitations and will probably be hard to get here in the U.S in a few years. Expect to see Halycon and Tipple touted as a replacement. Sad too since a good quality - floor malted MO is a beautiful thing for bitters.

Sadly, Maris Otter is largely being phased out in the UK due to growing limitations and will probably be hard to get here in the U.S in a few years. Expect to see Halycon and Tipple touted as a replacement. Sad too since a good quality - floor malted MO is a beautiful thing for bitters.

I wasn't aware of this. That's a shame, cause I really love Maris Otter.

I've always seen English malts to be a lot like Honey in terms of name (not flavor, obviously). While Tupelo and Wildflower and Clover (and all the other varietals) are all kinds of honey, they're distinct and different. While Golden Promise, Maris Otter, and Halcyon (and all the others) are all English (okay, Golden Promise is Scottish right? but you get the point) 2-row pale malts, they're different.

Gotcha. G-P's another good one, IMO. That would suck if M-O becomes hard to find/more expensive, it's a great base for bitters. Halcyon's a good one too, I recently started using that as the base for my house ESB. I haven't used Tipple before.... good one?

Austin Homebrew recently got some Tipple. I have brewed an oatmeal stout and a IIPA with it so far and think its just as good as any other UK Pale. I'll be honest, I can't really tell a difference between MO, Optic, or Tipple. As long as the maltster knows what they are doing, I think it will be good.

Back