Two different mash temps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RedHouse

Reaction score
My dry stout recipe calls for a 15 minute mash at 120°, and then I'm supposed to raise the temp up to 150° for 60 minutes.

Do I just figure a bit less strike water and then add boiling water to raise the temp? I don't see an option for this in Beersmith.

1st, most modern malts do not need a protein rest as they are fully modified and will reach full conversion in a typical 60 min mash.

That said, in BeerSmith under mash profile click choose then select temperature mash, 2 step. This will give you the option to mash in at 1 temp then raise the temp to desired temp w/ the appropriate amount of boiling water. I would also click details and make sure drain mash tun before starting batch sparge is UNchecked.

With my Dry Stout I just mash in shooting for 151-152* F for 60 minutes, vorlauf and drain (start that heating while you sparge), single batch sparge stirring like hell for 4-5 minutes, let sit 10-15 min, vorlauf, drain, combine run-offs, boil.

Hope that helps & Good Luck :mug:

That's called Step Mashing and it used to be more popular back in the day. There's two main enzymes that convert starch to sugar, and you used to have to do the step mashing to make sure everything got activated. Now, the malt developers have tinkered with nature to the point where you can just do a single "infusion" mash and there's no need to do the gradual temperature raise.

With my Dry Stout I just mash in shooting for 151-152* F for 60 minutes, vorlauf and drain (start that heating while you sparge), single batch sparge stirring like hell for 4-5 minutes, let sit 10-15 min, vorlauf, drain, combine run-offs, boil.

Hope that helps & Good Luck :mug:

That is how I sparged with my first three AG brews and they turned out fantastic!

This is not the only dry stout recipe that I have seen that calls for a step mash. The current issue of BYO has a dry stout with a step mash.

Thanks for the help.:rockin:

if the recipe has a lot of unmalted barley, and oats(meal, they may be calling for a short protein rest to break up the large proteins that contribute to haze. It would probably break up some of the gums in the unmalted adjuncts too

I have 2lbs of flaked barley, 1 lb of roasted barley, and 6oz of chocolate malt....and marris otter pale too.

The 2 step mash in beersmith assumes you are using a brewpot and heat source to mash in. Is it possible to do this in a cooler? Or maybe I should just mash in my brew kettle and adjust the heat? Then I could just dump the grist in the cooler MT, vorlauf, drain, and then sparge?

I have 2lbs of flaked barley, 1 lb of roasted barley, and 6oz of chocolate malt....and marris otter pale too.

The 2 step mash in beersmith assumes you are using a brewpot and heat source to mash in. Is it possible to do this in a cooler? Or maybe I should just mash in my brew kettle and adjust the heat? Then I could just dump the grist in the cooler MT, vorlauf, drain, and then sparge?

It is possible. It sounds like you need to step back and configure BeerSmith more. You need to set it up for your equipment first.

-bn

I do have set it up for my equipment. I usually just do a single infusion, medium body,no mash out in a cooler MT for my previous brews. But, this recipe specifically calls for a step mash. I may just try it with a single infusion and see how it turns out.....seems like the simplest method for now.

That's called Step Mashing and it used to be more popular back in the day. There's two main enzymes that convert starch to sugar, and you used to have to do the step mashing to make sure everything got activated. Now, the malt developers have tinkered with nature to the point where you can just do a single "infusion" mash and there's no need to do the gradual temperature raise.

Better not tell the Dutch & Belgian brewers as they always do step mashes, many thought I was odd for only doing a infusion mash, also called the British Infusion Mash.

http://www.brewwiki.com/index.php/Mashing#Single_Infusion_Mash

These numbers taken from Dutch & Belgian homebrewer forums.
------------
BPA
30m/62°C
30m/72°C
5m/78°C

Weizen
10m/40°C
40m/62°C
10m/72°C
5m/78°C

Blonde
15m/43°C
45m/62°C
30m/72°C
2m/78°C

Tripel
15m/54°C
60m/62°C
01m/78°C

Irish red ale
90m/65°C
05m/78°C

Bildtse Overige bieren
45m/63°C
30m/73°C
2m/78°C

I do have set it up for my equipment. I usually just do a single infusion, medium body,no mash out in a cooler MT for my previous brews. But, this recipe specifically calls for a step mash. I may just try it with a single infusion and see how it turns out.....seems like the simplest method for now.

Click on Choose under Mash Profile and select Double Infusion, Light Body. Set your temps.

-bn

The only ingredient in question that would benefit from a protein rest, would be the 2 lbs of flaked barley, roasted barley needs no rest, or do the other malts listed.

flaked barley is already gelatinised and you could probably get by with just a single infusion with that style brew.

A short protein rest would be best though, if you want to go through the time, and trouble, when mashing in a cooler.

The only ingredient in question that would benefit from a protein rest, would be the 2 lbs of flaked barley, roasted barley needs no rest, or do the other malts listed.

flaked barley is already gelatinised and you could probably get by with just a single infusion with that style brew.

A short protein rest would be best though, if you want to go through the time, and trouble, when mashing in a cooler.

Thanks OLDBREW....I went with a single infusion for this brew. It's mashing now @ 152°.

Now that I know how to do it with Beersmith(thanks BeernuT100)....I'll try a protein rest on the next batch.

Thanks for the help guys! :mug:

Thanks for all the help guys. I just finished brewing my stout. Got 74% efficiency, and hit all my numbers. Just pitched my yeast @ 65*. The sample tasted pretty darn good.

Back