Turning your 5 gallon Corny into Primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really like the concept of this and have thought of doing it myself. Only issue I have is cleaning the corny out, my arm doesn't fit inside to scrub it down.

I really like the concept of this and have thought of doing it myself. Only issue I have is cleaning the corny out, my arm doesn't fit inside to scrub it down.

Carboy brush and oxyclean works good for this.:mug:

I'm fermenting in a corny right now, for the first time. I just got a gas disconnect, put some tubing on it and stuck the end in a bottle filled /13 of the way with Starsan. Presto! No need for any other hardware.

I was thinking the other night that it would be handy to turn the liquid dip tube into a thermowell and insert a temp probe into the corny in order to better monitor fermentation temps. It could be as simple as removing the poppet from the liquid post, crimping the bottom of the dip tube to be water tight and threading the probe lead through the post and down into the tube. My only thought is whether the dip tube would be a correct fit to get the right thermal transfer to the probe.

My only thought is whether the dip tube would be a correct fit to get the right thermal transfer to the probe.

Fill that crimped tube with water or sanitizer and then put your probe in. liquid touching metal touching liquid touching probe.

I'm sure it would be accurate enough.

I have an easier way...

I remove all posts and dip tubes, and cover the stubs with tin foil.

Or, if you need a blow off (you don't want to use Fermcap-S) just take the poppet out and use a ball lock QD with the poppet removed.

Fill that crimped tube with water or sanitizer and then put your probe in. liquid touching metal touching liquid touching probe.

I'm sure it would be accurate enough.

Hmm, yeah. With a submersible probe, that would work. Didn't know whether the typical lead on a two-stage temp controller was liquid safe.

I'm thinking this could be a decent applicaiton for fermenting in cornies inside a small mini-fridge with a fermwrap.

I threw this together in a minute with a spare lid about three years ago. I don't primary in corny kegs and have never used it. a member a while back was trying to mold a nipple out of silicone to cover the gas disconnect to sell to those who wanted to ferment in their kegs. I posted this on his thread and said it was an easier and possible cheaper way to do it. all you needed was a spare lid and stopper with an air lock. this type lid has a screw on pressure valve so you don't even have to modify it permently.

8724-4805Arrowhead153.jpg

Cool. I've never see a keg with a screw-off pressure valve.

If I ever were to try using the keg like this, I think I would just use the regular gas quick connect with the hose attached to it sitting in bucket of sanitizer. Or put a hose over the cornie post and clamp it on.

that's pretty much what the dude with silicon nipple/sleave was molding. not sure if he got it to a point where he could sell it. there are many cheap ways to ferment from a corny and we tried to tell him no one would buy a 10+ dollar piece of silicone when they could use hose the same way. I think his angle was you could boil it to clean and sanitize. I bought a bunch of keg parts off ebay and got several different brand lids in the lot. a few were these type screw off pressure valves.

We simply take off the gas disconnect and use a worm clamp to attach a 1/2" blow-off tube to remaining gas-side stub.

I'm fermenting in a corny right now, for the first time. I just got a gas disconnect, put some tubing on it and stuck the end in a bottle filled /13 of the way with Starsan. Presto! No need for any other hardware.

This is what I do....seems to work pretty well. I usually use 2 cornies to split a batch, but next time I may try the fermcap with a full keg.

I recently had my first infected batch in years...and it was the 2nd time I had fermented in cornies. I can't positively say it was the cornies (I think it was some old tubing I used to transfer) but out of paranoia I built a monster keg cleaner with a LG 73 GPM sump pump. That thing really circulates some oxiclean, especially on the inner portion of the top....which is an easy place to neglect.

Did this a while back with just a small piece of silicone hose (3/8") that I had for my brewing setup

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/airlock-corny-118243/

11145d1258755239-airlock-corny-pc230020.jpg

Elegant, simple, and free! FTW

I've got several corny lids with the above mentioned relief valves. They are all "Racetrack" type lids, and when those valves break like old plastic parts that screw together always do, they are almost impossible to replace!
I think that's why everyone hates the racetrack lids.
On the other hand, they are perfectly suited to a stopper and airlock. Remove the relief valve and there's just a 1/2" (or so) round hole...

If anyone is interested, I'd be happy to swap 1 for 1 racetrack lids for normal corny lids with the keyring relief valve :ban:

I've always wondered why it's called a racetrack lid? They're all the same except for the relief valve.....

Back