Turkey Fryer Safety Button

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheCrowsNest

Reaction score
We have a turkey fryer that has a button on it that must be depressed in order for propane to flow to the burner. There is also a starter button that you push to activate propane flow. I drew a picture for anyone that hasn't seen this before (top view - red dot is the button; side View - red button is the starter):

1900-burner-issues.jpg

Our keggle does not depress the safety button due to the v-shaped bottom, so our propane does not maintain a constant flow of gas. As shown in the picture above, we can stick a wrench beneath the starter button to allow for a constant flow of propane. The problem with this is that as we move around the setup we often knock the wrench out of place, immediately stopping the flow of propane and consequently our boil. Profanity ensues.

I assume that tape would be a good temporary fix, but all I've got is duct tape and I feel like the glue will melt when the metal heats up. A vice grip might work but I don't have one of those right now. I guess I really want to just get rid of this button.

Is there anyone that has experience with this problem?

I just taped mine with electrical tape, but duct tape should work fine... it's far enough away fro the flame that it won't get hot, plus it has a constant flow of propane running through it.

On mine you can't just take the valve off and hook the hose directly to the burner, as the threads on the hose end are too small. I have never been able to find the proper threaded adapter at any of the hardware stores around here, so I continue to just use the tape...

My fryer has an incredibly annoying 30min. timer on it that will shut off the gas if not constantly reset. I'm trying to figure a way to bypass this, but I haven't had time yet. Did you guys have one of these as well? I have the starter button too, but on mine I only have to push the button in order to start the flame. Once the fire is going, I can let go. But this stupid dial timer is a pain in the ass.

I don't have one of those 30 minute timers but that sounds brutal. There are only 2 ways to keep our burner going:

1. Keep the safety depressed at all times, the starter is only pushed in for a few seconds when first igniting the flame.
2. Keep the starter depressed at all times. The safety is not depressed and the flame will go out when the starter is released.

I would suggest buying a burner that does not have any safety features (fatal last words...). It will save you some frustrations: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000291GBQ/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
I recall some weeks ago a thread from a fellow that had the same problem with a turkey fryer burner. I believe he took the offending "switch" apart and modified it. The thread that came up with my search was "Turkey Fryer Burner Timer/Interlock Mod."

glenn514:mug:

mine had a 20 minute time, then it melted and broke, i didn't have the timer problem anymore, i use a bolt cut to length to hold in the starter/flow button. then i went electric, my propane problem is now gone :).

Your welcome. Did the mod for a friend just the other day as he tired of using duct tape.
Amazing the amount of useful and friendly information one can find on this site.

Back