Turkey Deep Fry - store oil in keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luke2080

Insert Witty Title Here..
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Not technically meat smoking but this seemed the best place for my crossover cooking and kegging question.

Every so often I deep fry a few turkeys, waiting for the oil to cool to filter it back into the big plastic jug for reuse. Tossing it every 12 or so months. I could probably save it longer, but it seems so unsanitary in its plastic jug.

So that I can filter at a little warmer temp, and feel safer about the storage, could I use an old corny keg I'm no longer using for beer purposes? I have excess kegs, and thought this would be a good use of one.

Any issues with storing the oil in a SS corny keg? Or issues if I put this in too hot? Has anyone done this, and is it such a great idea everyone already does this without asking the Interwebs for approval?

I don't see why you couldn't. It would be a little harder to tell if stuff is growing in it. Stainless is less reactive than plastic so it shouldn't hurt. Just be sure and scrub the crap out of it when dumping the old oil (also, where are you going to put the old oil to dispose of it?).

Must be nice having excess kegs.

Seems like a keg would be a good choice.Never thought of it ,but I can't see why it wouldn't work.I like to filter my oil and refrigerator it in my garage fridge but I don't really have room for an extra keg,but it sounds like a plan.

Just be sure and scrub the crap out of it when dumping the old oil (also, where are you going to put the old oil to dispose of it?).

I did not think about oil disposal, to dump off at a recycling center. Maybe if I find one near me where I can dump the oil and keep my container, the keg storage will work. I guess there is some risk to being able to deep clean the oil out too, when using it for a new batch of oil storage. I'll think on that more for next time. For this past thanksgiving, I found out too late my crappy aluminum pot had a couple of holes in it. :mad: So the oil is still unused in the plastic container.

BTW - easy to have too many kegs after years of stockpiling and brewing, and then having a baby (now toddler) and having no stockpile of beer. Trying to rebuild the pipeline.......

Only issue I could see is if it's so hot that you have issues with the molded rubber foot on the bottom. Otherwise the stainless would be an ideal container. As Drunkle mentioned, it won't be as easy to see into, but I keep my oil for 2 years typically so if you're only keeping it 12 months you should be fine.

I'd just say when you go to recycle the oil time it out for when you get a new batch - pour the new into the kettle, transfer the old from the keg to the plastic jug and recycle, clean the keg so it's ready to store the new oil after use.

Back