Tun Cosy Mash Insulator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ungoliant

Reaction score
Wasn't sure whether to put this in BIAB or DIY...So I did this instructable for my 10gal SS Brew Tech kettle (links at the bottom). It went pretty smooth, except there's a problem... So I got a 22 1/2 in. Planter, and I used 6 cans of GreatStuff by Dow.

Everything seemed to cure fine (see pic, 24hrs. after adding foam), but when I went to cut out the handles and pull this baby out, the middle layer of foam hasn't cured yet and is still sticky. My guess is, due to the larger pot and deeper gap, the foam needs more time to set.

Anyone try this before? Any folks experienced with this type of foam?

http://m.instructables.com/id/The-Tun-Cosy-removable-mash-tun-insulation-for-BIA/
http://greatstuff.dow.com/products/big-gap-filler/View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1439866753.458161.jpg

Well once it cures apparently it sticks to the foil on the pot, and should come out in one piece. I was going to grab it by the handles and pull it out but it's not cured yet.

Then, you can cut ports for the spigot and thermometer, and then the foam in half so you can essentially have a shell that's held together by the planter for mash time.

I made mine like that , but from the outset had intended to cut down both sides making into two half shells . It works fine.

Yeah I've got to do it over. 48 hours post foam, and nothing below about 6 inches has set, and everything below that isn't cured is a sticky sloppy mess that isn't even foam anymore

Maybe you could do it in stages. Start from the bottom and get a few inches built up, let it cure and then do the next layer, etc till it's done.

That's my plan for next time. The instructions say to only wait for expansion but I'm going to let it cure longer per tier (~30 mins/layer vs. 5 mins/layer), at least long enough to completely lose its tackiness.

I think the reason why I had trouble is just due to the difference in size of my pot and planter vs. the original.

Make sure you get the foam for large gaps
Sounds like you didn't judging by the amount you had to use

Small gap foam won't cure fast at all in large amounts. It's not designed for that.

Yes, that's the product I used. Sorry, I was being slightly sarcastic. But yes I intend to slow down for round 2. Updates coming soon

Back