TSS2 Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattchu09

Reaction score
I am building a fermentation chamber very similar to the one TH has built in his thread where he relocated a tall mini fridge door and built an extension box to essentially double the size of the fridge and allow multiple carboys to fit. Anyway my ideas was to add an extra feature to his design by putting a removable thick foam wall in the middle with a small computer fan in the corner. My idea would be that the right side, which houses the actual refrigeration unit could be turned on and controlled to lager temps, around 45 degrees, and the left side of the unit (on the other side of the thick insulation wall with the fan in the corner) would be kept at ale temps. The idea would be to have two temperature probes (one in the right lager side and one in the left ale side) going to a Love TSS2 controller.

One output would control the fridge turning on and off to keep the right side at lager temps being read by probe number one, and the second output would be the computer fan installed in the foam wall dividing the two sections. This fan would kick on and off as needed to suck cold air into the ale chamber on the left to keep at 65 degrees. This temp would be read by the second probe, and controlled by the second output on the TSS2.

Essentially instead of having the first output control the fridge and the second a heater to keep the fridge in a range, the first would control the fridge and the second control the fan to control temps in the ale side.

So here is my question to those who have wired a TSS2, can the second output be set-up to run a 12volt DC computer fan while using a normal 110V Love TSS2? Or would I need to get two seperate TS controllers and wire them each independently? (ie one to control the fridge cycle, one to control the computer fan) Any help would be much appreciated.

Sounds like a good idea, would suggest a 115 vac fan to keep things simple as a 12VDC fan means an additional power supply. Might have to experiment with transfer opening size to keep natural convection effect under control for ale side.

Yeah I was going to start with just the hole with the fan installed and if it still has trouble getting the ale side to 65 degrees I can add some more smaller holes besides the fan. Anyone had some experience in wiring the TSS2 controller? I can't seem to dig up a solid wiring example anywhere...

Yeah I was going to start with just the hole with the fan installed and if it still has trouble getting the ale side to 65 degrees I can add some more smaller holes besides the fan. Anyone had some experience in wiring the TSS2 controller? I can't seem to dig up a solid wiring example anywhere...

I think Kladue was talking about the fan hole being too large and natural convection limiting your temperature difference. However - as a solution to only allow cool air to enter when your Love controller allows it - use a Dryer vent cover similar to this one -

Lambro Industries at Lowe's: 4" White Plastic Louver Vent

This way it keeps air circulation to a minimum when your fans are off - but opens up to allow flow when your fans turn on.

I actually came up with the exact same idea today. Thanks for the suggestion, that is a great idea for controlling the natural airflow to the cooler side of the fermentation chamber. I have looked at a bunch of wiring diagrams for the love TS controller, but couldn't find anyone who had used the TSS2. Anyone have experience wiring the dual stage love tmp controller?

Back