Trying to learn the different beer styles.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rosco

Reaction score
I am new to brewing in general but I have been trying lots of different styles of beers for the past several years and I know what I like once I taste it but if you tell me it's a Lager, Pilsner, etc. that really doesn't mean much to me and I want to learn the different styles so when I am looking for new recipes I know what style I will like. I am starting to pay more attention to the beers when I am trying new ones to try and learn what I like and don't like but I was wondering if any of you had any good links or articles etc. that I could read through to help me along or if it is something I just need to learn through experience? Thanks for you help in advance. I'm loving searching through these forums and I am learning a bunch.

This is one of the best overviews of the various beer styles, click on each one it will give you the numbers (gravities/ibus/srms) associated with the style, a little bit of the history of the style, a description of the style and a list of the commercial brews that best exemplify the style. If you know you like hoegaarden for example, then you'll see that it is category 16a Belgian (and french ale) Witbeer.

BJCP Style guidlines.

many sites like ratebeer and beeradvocate will also mention which style the beer falls under. (You can alternatively just search for whichever beer review for example Jolly Pumpkin Belipago review to get a site such as http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/21363/56657).

I'd go for the BJCP for general study, but if I know I like Beer X over Beer Y, I'd check some reviews to find out what style it is, then find it in the BJCP or also, check the reviews for similar styles.

...course, since I can have about a total of 5 beers that are actually purchasable, I'm a little less concerned about this now.

If you have a smartphone and a good bottle-shop near you, you can download the BJCP guidelines onto the smartphone, take it to the bottle shop and pick up a sixer of whatever category you are interested in.

Note: this is easier for some styles than others.

This is one of the best overviews of the various beer styles, click on each one it will give you the numbers (gravities/ibus/srms) associated with the style, a little bit of the history of the style, a description of the style and a list of the commercial brews that best exemplify the style. If you know you like hoegaarden for example, then you'll see that it is category 16a Belgian (and french ale) Witbeer.

BJCP Style guidlines.

+1 on this. I use it almost on a weekly basis

What you're doing is a good start -- being able to qualitatively identify a beer's character as you drink it will help cement things in your head. I totally agree with the BJCP guidelines as a good place to start; wonderful way to learn a little and put you on the correct path to building/deconstructing a recipe/beer. If you're able, I recommend the mix-six packs that some liquor stores offer; they're a GREAT way to learn about directions you can take a style in.

Try to be critical about beers you drink: what makes them successful? What would I do to improve on it? It doesn't have to be formal, but anytime you let a beer engage all your senses it just helps to cement it in your mind (at least to me it does). I wouldn't fret trying to learn it all at once... it'll just happen naturally as you try out new styles.

My recommendations: BJCP guidelines, this site, get involved in a club, any books you can get your hands on will be worth it (Mosher, Daniels, Fix, etc. -- there are many good recommendations on HBT), and trust your own senses.

If you have a smartphone and a good bottle-shop near you, you can download the BJCP guidelines onto the smartphone, take it to the bottle shop and pick up a sixer of whatever category you are interested in.

Note: this is easier for some styles than others.

Sweet I just loaded it. Thanks for the help guys. Now I can't wait to go out and get a sampler pack and give it a try.

Latest posts

Back