Trying to calculate ABV on a Monster Barleywine - with multiple additions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeffersonCoastal

Reaction score
Hello
I am trying to calculate ABV on a BIG Barleywine. I have the OG and original volume. There were multiple additions including concentrated wort, honey, sugar, syrup as well as a second pitch of yeast.

Is there a calculator or formula that I could use to somehow determine what the ABV of this beer is?

Hello
I am trying to calculate ABV on a BIG Barleywine. I have the OG and original volume. There were multiple additions including concentrated wort, honey, sugar, syrup as well as a second pitch of yeast.

Is there a calculator or formula that I could use to somehow determine what the ABV of this beer is?

here it is, but requires a refrac reading of the finshed product, and a hydro reading to compare the two to each other...thus reveling how much ABV...

https://www.meadmakr.com/abv-calculator/
never mind...but there's one i use built into beersmith...trying to find a web version....

here's one that looks right...third one down...

https://www.northernbrewer.com/pages/refractometer-calculator

edit: wish i knew about it when i was messing with sake. because the vintometer i tried never worked good for it.....another thing supposedly that will help..but the liquid has to be totally dry for it...

Last edited:
If you know the quantities of what you added you can look for their gravity addition, typically given in points per pound per gallon, and work from there. Something like table sugar, for example, contributes 46 points per pound per gallon, meaning one pound of table sugar adds 46 gravity points when added to one gallon of water.

Honey is typically 79.5% sugar, sometimes a bit more, sometimes a bit less, and syrup should be around 75% sugar. Wort will depend entirely on the concentration we're talking about. Also keep in mind that some stuff you add won't be fully fermentable.

The yeast won't matter.

Just use the Brewer's friend recipe builder. Enter all the ingredients you used and the final volume and it should be pretty close.

Back