Trying to be patient...but worried....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rigglet

Reaction score
I attempted a Leinenkugel Summer Shandy clone. I took a simple wheat recipe and added 3 packets of Crystal Light (the kind that make 2 quarts) at bottling. They have been in the bottle for just over two weeks so I know they are still a bit young. The taste is absolutely awesome. Still a little strong on the lemonade, but I know that will mellow more with a little bit more time.

What I'm concerned about is these have absolutely ZERO carbonation. I wouldn't expect them to be fully carbonated yet, but I'd expect something. All my other brews have had some carbonation after the first week. I've read many threads about the topic and they all say to wait and it will get there.

I'm just concerned that the Crystal Light may have something in it that killed all my yeast. Any thoughts?

Thanks all!

Troy

Did you prime with sugar as well as add the Crystal Light since Crystal Light is sugar free (I think). I guess its possible that something in the lemonade mix could've affected the yeast, but I've never used Crystal Light.

Is there any preservatives in the crystal light? That could be hindering the yeast.

Did you use something else to prime with, adding the crystal light was just for flavor right?

Do you have PH strips? If so try checking the PH on the next bottle you open.

I just so happen to have a packet of Crystal Light sugar free lemonade sitting in front of me about to go into my bottle of water haha.. coincidence!

Ingredients:

citric acid, potassium and sodium citrate, aspartame, magnesium oxide, less than 2% of natural flavor, lemon juice solids, acesulfame potassium, soy lecithin, artificial color, yellow 5, bha (preserves freshness)

I looked up BHA because it was the only ingredient I had not clue about, it is butylated hydroxyanisole, which turns out is a common food preservative. I'm thinking if anything did kill the yeast, this would be it though I'm not 100% sure..

Hope this helps..

Thanks for all the feedback everyone. I did prime with sugar. The Crystal Light was for flavor only. Well if that ingredient did in fact kill my yeast I will be very bummed. Aside from the no carbonation this is a very tasty brew.

often one week is not enough time to carbonate beer.. patience. If they are not carbonated after three weeks, then something went wrong.

Just in case anyone was following/interested in this...the beers are finally carbonating. Took almost 5 weeks and a mild shake to each of them, but they are getting there. The lemonade flavor is a bit strong, but I know it will mellow out in time.

So if you decide to use Crystal Light for flavoring all I can say is be patient....and then wait some more.

Interesting! But definitely awesome, I surely thought you may end up with a batch of flat brew. That ingredient I found is definitely a food preservative so whether it just wasn't enough to hurt anything, or your yeast happen to have humongous roided out yeast arms and they plowed through it, glad to hear it's carbing up :mug:

Back