Trying this pumpkin spice mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobbyisstrange

Reaction score
I found this recipe on the forum,

Ingredients (1 gallon)

1 packet of bread yeast (so it stays sweet)

3 pounds clover honey

1 cup brown sugar

2 pounds pumpkin puree

3 sticks cinnamon

1 leveled tsp of nutmeg

1 tbsp. vanilla extract

1/2 gal. water and enough water to fill up to 1 gallon.

I am using a packet of Lalvin K1-V1116 instead of a bread yeast....she is is fermenting right now. I was just wondering how long I should keep her in the primary before siphoning into the secondary. Also the pumpkin purée added a lot of density to the batch, I suspect I won't have much more than a half gallon of actual mead...any tips on how to remedy this? Anyway, any advice would be grateful.

As with most bread yeast recipes, it's likely supposed to finish sweet. K1-V1116 is an 18% yeast so it'll likely finish dry. And you'll probably have to back sweeten it.

I'm not a fan of puree's as they can be a bast are to rack. You'd have been better placed roasting some chunks of whole flesh, then adding them in a straining bag (if possible).

I'd also be easier to make in a bucket. Give the amount of fruit volume, you'd have been better placed making a 2 gallon batch so you get maybe a gallon and a bit. The gallon to a jug to clear and age, any left over into a small soda/pop bottle in the fridge for topping off......

Back