troubleshooting gas leaks....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redpappy

Reaction score
I have either lost a ton of gas before hand ( which is possible) i'm loosing a little at a time. I am not sure. Any suggestions on troubleshooting would be appreciated.
trouble started with me deciding to move my tank outside my kegerator (fridge). I purchased a mfl bulkhead connection from Brewhardware.
I will admit, I got stupid. I hooked everything up, before buying the plastic garments needed for the connections...
Once I realized that i needed the garments, I turned off the gas till i I got the garments.
Temp and humidity has changed, but it seemed I was still loosing gas(per my gas gauge. So I went with @bracconiere suggestions ( other threads) with getting a scale(bought the same scale). So now I am wondering if I am still loosing gas. I have pored 3 glasses so far, and the weight is still the same.... ( part of it was gas gas was turned off to the keg.)

From what I have read, I should have seen a difference is weight with in 2 hours if I had a leak. Is this correct?

I bought a 20 lb tank about 8 months ago.... If I read the tank correctly, I have about 3 lbs 2 oz of gas left.... my 10 lb tank lasted me 2 years.

I will have to say... Gas Leaks Suck....LOL Thanks for any help.

well i go through 0.2ozs in a day pouring 12 beers....5gallons of co2 is like 1.2ozs....

did you set the tank on the scale zeroed? i've noticed it needs the full weight reading before it reads anything.....

3 glasses would be a trivial change....beyond this scales ability....did you weigh the tank when you got it? i've been shorted with 13lbs co2 on my tanks...

(if anything, i'd recommend having some batteries for it, bring it with you when you swap...that way you can check for a short filled tank)

@bracconiere , Scale was set to 0 before weight being read.I just got the scale, but have had my tank for about 7 months, so No way to weight it before hand. The place I exchange my tank from is a local small business, so hopefully they are honest.
i did notice a lost of .2 ounces every 12 hours. With the little amount of lost, I am hoping that it is from the leak that I found. I had added a value on my 3 way ( making it a 4 way) and well, apparently it was not on tight enough since it is leaking. After seeing the loss, I decided to submerge my manifold in water. The shut off valve that i installed was leaking. So with any luck, my new manifold will take care of my loss of gas.

i did notice a lost of .2 ounces every 12 hours.

i notice a loss like that at noon when the sun is high, but when it crosses the yard arm it goes back up....but, yeah, that's why i love the thing...

0.2ozs every 12 hours would be a empty tank in a couple months...i love the fact that bad boy can see minor things like that!

I ended up pulling out my manifold and sticking it in a bucket of water.... the valve I stuck on the manifold had small little bubbles coming from it. so I went with a new manifold, and no leak.
interesting on how much co2 is used during carbonation.

Back