Trouble with lme mid brew... worth it to continue?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamgm

Reaction score
So, for whatever reason my lme wouldn’t come out of the package and I essentially added none of that to the wort. All of the 1lb golden was fine... is this something to trash?
(Is brewers best brand usually garbage?)

Have you warmed up the package by soaking it in boiling water with the lid open or cracked? That should soften it enough to get it out

Have you warmed up the package by soaking it in boiling water with the lid open or cracked? That should soften it enough to get it out
Ya that’s what I’ve always done. It turned to gum this time and wasnt coming out.

Worth continuing?

Unless you can replace that malt with some other fermentables then it will be lower ABV and if you huse sugar it will eb a bit thin. maybe use less water and make a smaller batch

I'd stick to DME if you can get that. In a factory sealed bag it will last a decade, possibly longer. Even when opened then closed/sealed properly, it will last years. I have proof of this.

Cans of LME vary widely in quality and age is not in their favor. Some LHBS sell bulk LME, dispensed into a jug or plastic bag from a plastic barrel. If they're busy and sell a lot, it's probably fresh, otherwise leave it, and use DME instead.

Definitely contact the operation you bought he gelled can from and ask for a refund. Or of the whole recipe kit if that's the way it came.

If it's still fermenting you can heat up some DME (with hops if you want) in as little water as possible, chill and add to it. Or just start a new batch.

Back